Here are some great recipes to lower high cholesterol. We must know how to lower high cholesterol, especially as so many people have it. Learn what you are doing to cause high cholesterol Tips On How to Lower High Cholesterol Naturally
We are aware that having high cholesterol is not a good thing and yet it is on the rise. Most people do not know that this is due to the way one eats. Here are some very tasty and mostly easy to make recipes to help lower high cholesterol naturally.
To begin, here is a list of the best cholesterol-lowering foods.
Best Foods For Your Recipes To Lower High Cholesterol
Oats are full of soluble fiber which helps bring down bad cholesterol and keep arteries flexible. Manufacturers of oats and oatmeal are allowed to state that these products are “heart-healthy” by the FDA. Warning: adding enough sugar and fat in breakfast cereals and oatmeal bars turns oatmeal into a portion of junk food.
Almonds and other nuts are particularly rich in L-arginine, an amino acid that helps your body make nitric oxide. This, in turn, helps regulate blood pressure which has been found with almonds.
In a 2014 study, those who ate 1.5 ounces of whole walnuts 6 days a week for 1 month lowered their total cholesterol by 5.4 percent and LDL cholesterol by 9.3 percent. The nuts were not salted or coated with sugar.
Olive oil is full of monounsaturated fatty acids which lower LDL cholesterol. Bonus: they help trim belly fat! Make your Healthy Salad Dressings with olive oil. Make sure you know Which are the Best Olive Oils to Buy? Real Olive Oils vs Fake Exposed.
Spinach contains lots of lutein. Research suggests that just 1/2 cup of lutein-rich food daily, guards against heart attacks by preventing artery walls from getting clogged.
Greens are the highest alkaline-forming foods and they are full of vitamins A, K and D. Adding spinach to your meal is an excellent way to alkalize your diet.
Eat citrus fruit which is full of pectin. Choose grapefruit, oranges, and lemons. Pectin turns into a soluble fiber to carry the cholesterol out of your body. Other fruits like apples and grapes can help raise the level of antioxidants in your blood and reduce cholesterol’s ability to do any damage. Keep in mind, fresh fruit is much better than canned.
Avocados are full of monounsaturated fat, which may help raise HDL cholesterol while lowering LDL. This superfood is full of beta-sitosterol, a beneficial plant-based fat that reduces the amount of cholesterol absorbed from food. Avocados are high in calories and fat so try to stick to one per day.
Garlic can lower cholesterol, prevent blood clots and lower high blood pressure. Garlic also prevents artery-clogging plaque in its early stage by keeping cholesterol particles from sticking to artery walls Add some garlic to your soups, stews, and salad dressing recipes to lower high cholesterol.
Sometimes it is easier to use some Organic Freeze Dried Garlic so no chopping and peeling.
Chocolate is full of powerful antioxidants and helps build HDL cholesterol levels. A 2007 study found that those who were given cocoa powder had a 24 percent increase in HDL levels, compared with a 5 percent increase in the control group. Note they eat cocoa, not chocolate bars full of sugar and milk.
Recipes To Lower High Cholesterol
Muesli with Figs Is Tasty and Easy To Make
Starting the day with a healthy breakfast is important and this muesli with oat, almonds, quinoa, and figs does just that. The ingredients are all very nutritious and to top it off it is very filling.
Muesli with Figs
- 2 cups steel-cut rolled oats
- 2 cups quinoa flakes
- 1 cup almonds sliced
- 1/2 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon ground
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup figs sliced, if using fresh ones only put them in just before eating
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir until every ingredient is distributed in the mix.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Serve with almond milk, coconut milk.
Soak it in your choice of milk or water overnight.
Add water to a pot with 1/2 cup muesli and cook till soft.
I like old fashioned oats because they have a fuller flavour and are more nutritious. You can eat oatmeal as a raw meal or make it into regular porridge. Since they take longer to cook, I often soak them overnight, but you don’t have to. Here is the recipe: Oatmeal Cinnamon Porridge & Sultanas
Cabbage Walnut Salad
This cabbage walnut salad is so filling. Also, it is high in nutrients with a variety of vegetables and nuts in it which makes it very good for you too. The walnuts, pine nuts, and sesame seeds add a good vegan protein to it. Also, this tasty salad with all the benefits of cholesterol-lowering foods in it (walnuts and olive oil).
Cabbage Walnut Salad
- 1 1/2 cups red and green cabbage finely shredded
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 5 Tbsp walnuts soaked
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds optional
- 2 Tbsp dill or parsley chopped
- Few slices of cucumber optional
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/8 tsp liquid stevia to taste
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan salt to taste
- Prepare salad vegetables and set aside.
- Mix dressing ingredients together.
- Stir dressing into vegetables.
- Serve immediately or place in refrigerator until serving time.
I have added a lemon olive oil dressing to this salad or you can also use a Creamy Tahini Dressing
I love my homemade almond milk. It’s healthier than almond milk you can buy. I only use all-natural healthy ingredients and no sugar! Almonds are the only nuts that are alkaline-forming.
Recipe: Almond Milk: Healthy Dairy Free Alternative– this is a very healthy almond milk, much better than the cartons you buy.
Prune Power Balls Are Yummy and Full of Energy
Here is a fun recipe to get some cholesterol-lowering foods in it (walnuts and almonds).
Prune Power Balls
- 1 cup prunes
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut plus extra for rolling them in
- Cut the prunes into very small pieces. I do this instead of putting them in a food processor, but either way will work. Do it the way you enjoy.
- Now put the cut-up prunes into a bowl and then mix in the almond butter and vanilla extract.
- Then mix in the walnuts and coconut.
- Place some more coconut in a small bowl on the side. Take about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and with your hands roll into a ball.
- Then roll each ball into the coconut.
- Now put them into a covered container and refrigerate them for 2 to 3 hours.
- These prune balls can be stored in the refrigerator for a few weeks.
Chili con Veggie
This is my very tasty Vegan Chili recipe which is always enjoyed whenever I serve it. Having beans and garlic in it makes it helpful in lowering cholesterol. It is very healthy and it is vegan and gluten-free too. For this recipe, I cook my beans instead of buying canned ones. Learn how to cook your beans from scratch according to the recipe: How to Cook Beans.
Chili Con Veggie
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced, optional
- 1 - 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp coriander ground
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper*
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 carrots thinly sliced
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans and water
- 2 - 4 tsp Braggs
- 1 green pepper or 1 cup chopped kale sliced
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup corn frozen works
- Sauté onion, mushrooms, garlic till golden on medium heat.
- Add cumin, coriander, and oregano and saute for a minute.
- Add carrots, cooked kidney beans with 1 cup of the bean water, Braggs and green pepper.
- Cook till vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, and paprika.
- Cook on medium heat until thick like the consistency of gravy, adding more water if necessary.
- Add corn and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve with a grain of your choice. I usually serve with brown rice or millet.
Here Are More Delicious Bean Recipes For You
White Bean Vegetable Stew – How about a very yummy, healthy protein meal filled with vegetables. This stew is high in potassium for those of you who need a boost in that area. Also, half a cup of white beans is loaded with close to 100 mg of calcium.
Delicious Black Bean Stew – This black bean stew is so good for a cold fall or winter day. It is delicious and easy to make and filled with nutritious superfood ingredients. Black beans are a favourite bean of mine.
Adzuki Vegetable Bean Stew – This is a simple recipe with one of the easiest to digest beans; adzuki beans. I love Adzuki beans and this tasty stew is filling and delicious.
Good to get spinach into recipes to lower high cholesterol.
Spinach Salad With Walnuts
Get four foods (spinach, oranges, walnuts and olive oil) that are cholesterol-lowering in this salad. It is a very tasty salad
Spinach Salad with Walnuts
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-3 drops liquid stevia to taste
- Tamari or Braggs to taste
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 mandarin orange in pieces
- 1/4 cup soaked walnuts chopped
- Wash and trim the spinach; pat dry with paper towels.
- Put the spinach in a salad bowl.
- In another bowl combine the lemon juice, oil, stevia, and Tamari or Braggs.
- Mix in the diced avocado.
- Toss the spinach with the avocado and salad dressing.
- Add the walnuts and orange, toss the spinach salad again.
- Serve immediately.
This is one of the delicious recipes to lower high cholesterol with three of the best foods(avocado, olive oil and lemon).
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp red onion
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, scoop out the avocado from the peel, and put in a mixing bowl.
- Squeeze lemon to make lemon juice.
- Mash avocado.
- Mix in lemon juice with the mashed avocado.
- Finely chop leaves and tender stems of cilantro.
- Mince onion finely.
- Finely mince the garlic.
- Chop up well the tomato.
- Add onion, cilantro, salt, and lemon juice and mix in well.
- Gently mix in chopped tomato.
- Serve your avocado guacamole with corn chips or slices of vegetables.
Try this recipe Simple Garlic Zucchini
This is a very simple and very tasty recipe if you like garlic. The first time I saw it being prepared was by a friend in my hippy days. I watched with amazement while he added clove after clove of garlic. I’m sure he put in more than I’ve put in the recipe! In those days, the idea was to eat as much garlic as we could for all of its health benefits. This is one of those recipes to lower high cholesterol.
Walnut Dark Chocolate Bar – No Sugar
This recipe produces one of the healthiest chocolate treats you will find. It also tastes better than the commercial stuff you end up buying! This is one of the few chocolates that I make without any of the other healthy sugars and it is not for everyone. Only those who like very dark chocolate will appreciate the flavour. This is one of those recipes that has two ingredients to help lower cholesterol: walnuts as well as chocolate.
Walnut Dark Chocolate Bar
- 4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (approx. 112gm)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp light liquid stevia*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins or sultanas
- Combine chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or carefully in a saucepan.
- Heat until all the chocolate and coconut oil is melted.
- Add the stevia.
- Mix in the vanilla extract after removing from heat.
- Line an 8-inch square pan or bread tin with parchment paper.
- Evenly sprinkle the walnuts and raisins in the pan.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the raisins and walnuts.
- Let it cool in the refrigerator or freezer.
- Once the chocolate has set, cut it into squares.
- Store the chocolate in a covered container. It can also be stored in a refrigerator or freezer if desired.
Join the Healthy Chocolate Project to learn how to make healthy chocolate. All of the recipes are vegan and only small amounts of healthy sugars are used. A couple of the recipes are raw too.
Delicious, Beautiful Avocado Grapefruit Salad
If you are wanting to lower cholesterol then this recipe is a super delicious way to do it. This salad has three of the best cholesterol-lowering foods in it (avocado, grapefruit and olive oil).
Avocado Grapefruit Salad
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1 white grapefruit
- 1 large avocado
- 2 fresh mint sprigs, stems removed
- 1 Tbsp virgin olive oil
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Remove the outer skin from the grapefruit.
- Prepare the grapefruit by peeling and sectioning.
- Remove the avocado from the peel and cut it into sections as shown in the photo.
- Arrange the avocado pieces on a plate.
- Cover with grapefruit.
- Now drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and mint.
- Time to enjoy this delicious salad.
There you have it, many healthy recipes to lower high cholesterol. All the recipes here on Real Food for Life are healthy. They are filled with whole foods that are vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free.