Celery is a negative calorie food, meaning it takes the body more calories to digest it than the food itself contains making it a very good food for weight loss. One stalk of celery has only a few calories because it is full of healthy cellulose. It is 95% water, very alkaline and filled with fiber. Its weight loss benefits are well known but you would be surprised at its other amazing properties.
At ‘Real Food for Life’ it is considered it a wonderful superfood that should be eaten daily.
‘My parents were vegetarians. I’d show up at school, this giant black kid, with none of the cool clothes and a tofu sandwich and celery sticks.’ ~ Aisha Tyler, actress and comedian.
13 Health Benefits of Celery
1. It has blood pressure reducing properties. It contains active Pthalides which relax the muscles of the arteries that regulating blood pressure so the vessels dilate. Pthalides also reduce stress hormones which can cause blood vessels to constrict.
2. The fibre is very good for weight loss.
3. It is considered a negative calorie food, which means it takes the body more calories to digest it than the food itself contains. Cellulose in all plants is in a form we cannot digest, so we cannot absorb their calories. A single stalk has only a few calories due to being full of cellulose. The addition of celery to your diet will help you tremendously with your weight loss efforts.
I consider celery so important to weight loss that it is a key element in my Weight Loss Boot Camps. Check them out here: Acid-Alkaline Diet BootCamp of Weight Loss and Balance.
4. It contains plant hormones that calm and soothes the central nervous system which will make your losing weight an easier thing to do.
5. Its leaves are a source of flavonoid antioxidants zeaxanthin, lutein and beta- carotene) which have anti-oxidant, cancer protective and immune-boosting functions.
6. Celery seed is used to treat colds, and diseases of the liver and spleen in Ayurvedic medicine.
7. Also, the seeds increase urine, according to information from the University of Maryland Medical Center.
8. The seeds may also treat arthritis and reduce inflammation but we are still waiting for the research to verify this.
9. Celery essential oil extracted from the plant has been used for nervousness, osteoarthritis, and gouty-arthritis conditions.
10. The seeds and roots help breast milk secretion.
12. It is an alkaline food. Most people are too acidic and thus suffer from a major body imbalance. One result of this is extreme difficulty in losing weight.
13. It combines with just about any food, even fruit to some degree. This helps the digestion and has many powerful health benefits in itself.
Cautions: Celery can cause severe allergic reactions. For people with celery allergy, exposure can cause potentially fatal anaphylactic shock. In the European Union, foods that contain or may contain celery, even in trace amounts must be clearly marked as such.
It is low in calories and some think that going on a celery only diet would be a good way to lose weight. With 1/2 chopped celery containing 8 calories (according to the USDA Nutrient Data Laboratory), it would not meet the 1,000 calorie minimum or 1,200 calorie minimum calorie allotment for women and men. You would have to eat a lot of celery! Also, it doesn’t have any protein, no healthy fats, few vitamins, and only a few minerals.
Trivia Interesting Facts
- Celery salt, a combination of celery leaves, seeds, or root and salt is a well know seasoning in cocktails like the Bloody Mary and also in Chicago Style Hot Dogs.
- In Homer’s Iliad, the horses of the Myrmidons graze on wild celery that grows in the marshes of Troy.
- Celery leave garlands found in the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamen who died in 1323 BC.
- The celery ROOT called celeriac, can be cut up and eaten like any vegetable.
- Celery stalks, what most of us think about when talking about celery was not commonly eaten till the 17th century.
- It is a great source of vitamins K and A, folate, potassium, vitamin C.
- Have essential minerals such as Folacin and Potassium.
- Provides good dietary fibre.
Nutritional Information from the WLR database:
1 Med Stalk Celery /40 g Raw
How to Store
Best to keep in the fridge. If the stalks become limp then simply cut the bottom inch and submerse in water till it is firm again.
Tips For Eating
- Weight Loss Tip: Celery sticks to the rescue. Have a container of celery stalks, washed, and cut up into sticks in the fridge. When you are hungry; eat a couple of celery sticks.
- Of course, add it to your salads! Also add to your stir fry, soups, stews, and casseroles.
- A perfect treat is a celery stick with almond butter or peanut butter spread into the ‘grove’. Nothing else is required.
In the spring this is a very good food for a Spring Cleanse.
Delicious Celery Recipes
Cranberry-Celery-Onion Stuffing: a healthy addition to your Thanksgiving or holiday celebration.
Alkalizing Green Mixed Salad: you want something tasty to go with your celery don’t you? This is it!
Avocado Vegetable Dip: You can dip your celery into this health dip which also has celery in it!
Perfect Vegetable Juice: You can play around with the ingredients but just so you know, this particular mixture IS perfect.
Bloody Mary: Alcohol-free, healthy, this is another tasty addition to upcoming celebrations!
Learn more about some of the healthiest vegetarian foods you will always want to have in your pantry or growing on your deck.
READ: Superfoods – Over 100 of the Healthiest Foods You Should Have in Your Diet and learn more about the variety of Superfoods we think you should have in your diet.