We were shocked to find out that the olive oils that we thought were authentic extra virgin olive oils were not! Read about The Olive Oil Fraud.
To be safe we have a list of brands we know to be real extra virgin olive oils and links if you wish to purchase online. For many of us having it delivered to your door is the only easy sure way to do so.
Which Are the Authentic Extra Virgin Olive Oils?
These olive oils have met the extra-virgin standards; this list of brands is from the research above and are authentic.
- Bariani Olive Oil is Stone Crushed, Cold Pressed, Decanted, and Unfiltered California Extra Virgin Olive Oil and they are committed to producing an authentic extra virgin olive oil which is raw. Weston Price recommends this oil.
- Corto Olive – can sometimes be purchased at Cosco.
- Cobram Estate – Australia’s most awarded extra virgin olive oil
- California Olive Ranch
- Kirkland Organic
- Lucero (Ascolano)
- McEvoy Ranch Organic
- Whole Foods California 365
- Olea Estates 100% extra virgin olive oil is from an extremely reliable source and is our top recommendation. This olive oil is grown on a single family farm in Greece and is a great tasting olive oil. We think so highly about this that we contacted them and they did give us a code for a discount which now is invalid. I spoke with them they will be giving us another discount code very soon.
Consumer Reports (September 2012 issue), published results of a taste test of 138 bottles of extra virgin olive oil from 23 manufacturers. The olive oil was sourced from the US, Argentina, Greece, Chile, and Italy. They found that olive oil produced in California exceeded those from Italy.
Two highest scoring olive oils (both from California) from their testing were:
- Trader Joe’s California Estate
- McEvoy Ranch
Here are 4 more very good varieties that are authentic extra virgin olive oils:
- Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil – It is made from organic olives and produced using organic farming standards. This oil was on our list of not being approved but we have now learned that was incorrect. Here is a statement from the company: “Our olive oil exceeds the rigorous and exacting standards of the International Olive Council (IOC) and European Union (EU). As proof, in 2017 alone, we achieved global recognition for the quality of our products, winning 4 gold, 3 silver and 1 bronze awards at multiple prestigious international olive oil competitions.”
- Cobram Estate won the Best Olive Oil 2016 contest.
- Chacewater California Extra Virgin Olive Oil was also a winner of the Best Olive Oil 2105 contest.
- Ellora Extra Virgin Olive Oil is one of the best olive oils. It is 100% Pure Cretan Extra Virgin Olive Oil of which the origin and authenticity is certified by the EU standards. While meeting the stringent requirements it maintains a focus on environmental consciousness and tradition. When you are ordering it online it comes in many sizes which can make shipping more economical. This is the one I am getting: 2 tins of Ellora Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 2 Ellora EVOO spray bottles
Here is another authentic olive oil I recently discovered that is certified:
Kasandrinos Organic Extra Virgin Greek Olive Oil – 100% certified organic, non-GMO extra virgin olive oil from Kasandrinos century-old family orchard. Mechanical cold-pressing within 48 hours locks in the delicious flavor of the olives at peak of ripeness.
And one more that is a very good oil winning medals for being authentic extra virgin olive oil:
Partanna Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold-pressed oil, unfiltered oil grown and packaged in Partanna, Sicily. The Asaro family has been producing it since 1916. This EVOO has been the winner of Gold Medals at the L.A. County Fair.
Olive oil is my favourite for making salad dressings and I always use one of the authentic extra virgin olive oils.
Here are 5 delicious salad dressing recipes:
You can get healthy recipes and tips sent to your mailbox
once a week with more information about healthy foods?
Subscribe to my newsletter.
Would learning how to plan and prepare super healthy meals something that interests you?
Check out my 2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.
Copyright © Diana Herrington www.RealFoodforLife.com