With onion, ginger, spices and pumpkin, this soup is delicious! I was given a very large pumpkin and did not know what to do with so much. So I created this recipe. I used one quarter of it in this recipe so I froze the rest for more pumpkin soup later.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1- 1 1/2 Tbsps minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (Optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 3 cups of greens (spinach or kale or Swiss chard), chopped
- 4 cups pumpkin, chopped
- Water to steam the pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (not low-fat) or almond milk
- 1/4 cup Roasted pumpkin seeds for serving
- Steam pumpkin and cook till soft. ( keep some for later in case soup gets too thick).
- Then puree pumpkin in blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) or blend with hand blender in pot.
- Cook onions in oil until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add cumin, coriander, and (cardamom if using it) and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the above to the pureed pumpkin.
- Stir in red pepper and chopped greens.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or less.
- Season soup with salt.
- Soup can be thinned with additional water.
- After serving in the bowls add coconut milk.
- Sprinkle with roasted pumpkin seeds.