If you want a delicious noodle soup recipe that is gluten-free, and perhaps even grain-free try this soba soup. This soup is made with buckwheat noodles. Soba is Japanese for buckwheat. I love this soup! And it is great that it is so healthy.
Soba Soup Recipe
1 piece Kombu seaweed
1 small piece Wakame seaweed
1 inch piece ginger root, peeled and grated
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
1/4 – 1/2 lb soba (buckwheat noodles)
1/4 cup mugi miso
3 cups water
Sauteed mushrooms or Fried Tofu (optional)
- Wash kombu and wakame and place in a pot with the water.
- Add the ginger. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 10 – 20 minutes. Strain, saving Kombu and Wakame.
- Rinse off the seaweed and chop it into 1 inch cubes and return to the pot of water.
- Sauté onion till transparent. Add onion to the stock along with the carrot. Lightly boil for 5 minutes
- Add the soba. Bring to a boil and add 1 cup of cold water,
- Repeat this process 3 times –adding a total of 3 cups of water.
- Boil lightly for 5 more minutes, Remove from heat.
- Add miso to taste (do not cook the miso as it will kill the live enzymes). Let sit with lid on for 5 minutes.
- Serve the soba soup in bowls. Sprinkle “Fried Tofu” or sauteed mushrooms on top.
To learn all the benefits of seaweed click here: Seaweed Benefits
If you want to be eating gluten-free, make sure the soba is wheat-free as many varieties out there add lots of wheat flour when the noodles are being made.
Here is a link to 100% buckwheat soba made in Japan Buckwheat Soba.
“In Japan, 100 Percent Buckwheat Soba is called ‘kiko uchi’ meaning ‘pure soba’. Whole buckwheat is small batch stone ground into flour then added to a slow moving mixer with pure water to form dough that ensures the best texture and flavor. A series of rollers gradually presses the dough into thin sheets. Another roller cuts the sheets of dough into long strands that are hung on poles in a drying room with fans and allowed to dry for about 40 hours. The noodles are hand cut to length and allowed to finish air drying before packaging. Buckwheat’s protein is superior to that of many cereal grains, providing all amino acids including the essential ones.” ~ Eden Foods
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Easy Peasy Green Pea Soup Is Especially Delicious – This green pea soup really is yummy and it is a super easy soup to make. Hearing me say that frozen peas taste good is amazing; as I don’t even like to eat frozen peas. But this creamy green pea soup is really delicious and within a week I had it twice! What I think is the difference is that this is the first time I had organic frozen peas and I am sure they taste better. The other thing about this soup is that it is surprisingly hardy and very filling.
Pumpkin Soup – With onion, ginger, spices, and pumpkin, this soup is delicious! I was given a very large pumpkin and did not know what to do with so much. So I created this recipe.
Kabocha Squash Soup – This is my favorite soup which I developed a few years ago. Every time I make it for friends they just love it and so do I!
Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup with Carrots – I created this potato leek soup at the end of September here in Edmonton, it felt like winter was almost here! This filling and warming soup is perfect for a yummy lunch. The recipe makes a big pot of soup which fed two of us for two lunches. It tastes so good that we also enjoyed it the second day too.