We have come to think of Japanese food as being tempura, teriyaki, and sushi but it is miso soup that the Japanese will not want to live without.
Originally, miso soup was served as a breakfast food.
I remember the week I had a little Japanese girl visiting who could not speak English; when I made her this soup with the addition of udon noodles, she was so happy and said Oishi ( 美味しい ) many times which means delicious! Fortunately, I understood because I had been in Japan and said Oishi at many meals.
Miso Soup Recipe
1 piece Kombu
1 piece Wakame
4 large brown mushrooms or 4 dried shitake mushrooms
1-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
8 Spinach leaves
1 – 3 Tbsp Shiro miso*
3 cups water
Few chives for topping (optional)
Tofu chunks (optional)
1. Soak Kombu, Wakame, ginger and shitake mushrooms in 3 cups of water in a saucepan for 30 minutes.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Strain out the kombu, wakame and mushrooms saving the liquid.
5 Slice Wakame and kombu and cut stocks off shitake mushrooms and chop finely, and slice mushroom caps in half and return to stock
6. Add spinach leaves and tofu if you are adding it.
7. Simmer on medium heat till spinach leaves have wilted. Turn heat off.
8. Add miso. (Never boil miso because that kills the live cultures which are so beneficial). Stir the miso thoroughly into the water and then add this back to the pot. As Miso is high in sodium, adjust how much you add to taste.
*This miso is the most suitable as it is smooth and creamy tasting…..it has a velvety texture and almost sweet taste.
To learn all about miso and it’s many benefits click on this link: Miso- Gift From the Gods
Learn how good seaweed is for you: Prevent Radiation Poisoning with Seaweed – an Ancient Powerfood
For detailed information on each of the seaweeds read Sea Vegetables Health Benefits.
Also try these other Japanese Favorites:
Get healthy tasty vegan gluten free recipes and useful lifestyle tips sent to you once a week, subscribe to the newsletter.
You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my 2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.