This is kabocha squash soup is my favorite vegan soup which I developed a few years ago. Every time I make it for friends they just love it and so do I. Soup is so good on cold autumn days and in the winter and this one is filling too.
Kabocha Squash can turn your kitchen into a fall food festival. With its bright orange color and rich, sweet delicious flavor, it can add a delightful dynamism to any meal. Learn below about its health benefits and how to find and cook it properly.
All squash is good for your health, but Kabocha Squash is my favorite because it tastes so good! Read about Squash the Powerfood.
What is also do good about it is that there are only healthy ingredients in this soup so it is deeply nourishing.
Kabocha Squash Soup Recipe
1 medium Kabocha squash
1 large onion or two small onions
2 large leaves of Kale
4 to 6 cups of water
2 inch piece of fresh ginger
½ tsp Cinnamon, cardamom, coriander,
1 tsp turmeric
5 drops of light Stevia
Add salt & pepper to taste
1. Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds, then cut the squash into eight pieces.
2. Chop onion and ginger.
3. Put squash, onions, and ginger into a steamer and cook till squash is soft. Remove and let cool. Save the flavourful water leftover from steaming.
4. Steam chopped Kale a few minutes or until tender.
5. Sauté spices in sesame oil or coconut oil for a couple of minutes.
6. Separate the squash flesh from the skin. Put the cooked squash in a large bowl or pot.
7. Add 3 cups of the leftover water used to steam the squash and stir in onion and ginger.
8. Run the squash and onion mixture through a blender, portion by portion, until you’ve blended it all. You can also use a hand blender and blend it right in the soup pot, which is what I do but do be careful as it can splatter everywhere.
9. Put the blended mixture into a soup pot, adding the broth created from the steamer to attain the consistency you like.
10. Add cooked kale, spices, salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve with a dollop of vegan yogurt or sour cream. I use vegan choices.
* You may use butternut or any dark orange squash.
Feel free to share this by email or Facebook or Twitter by clicking on the “bookmark and share” below. We also love comments.
More Great Ways to Eat Squash
Baked Squash with Vegetables – This is one of my favourite meal and it is all in one pan!
Steamed Winter Vegetables – Delicious vegetables for an easy to make meal.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
Pumpkin Soup – With onion, ginger, spices, and pumpkin, this soup is delicious! I was given a very large pumpkin and did not know what to do with so much. So I created this recipe.
Easy Peasy Green Pea Soup Is Especially Delicious – This green pea soup really is yummy and it is a super easy soup to make. Hearing me say that frozen peas taste good is amazing; as I don’t even like to eat frozen peas. But this creamy green pea soup is really delicious and within a week I had it twice! What I think is the difference is that this is the first time I had organic frozen peas and I am sure they taste better. The other thing about this soup is that it is surprisingly hardy and very filling.
Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup with Carrots – I created this potato leek soup at the end of September here in Edmonton, it felt like winter was almost here! This filling and warming soup is perfect for a yummy lunch. The recipe makes a big pot of soup which fed two of us for two lunches. It tastes so good that we also enjoyed it the second day too.