This is kabocha squash soup is my favorite vegan soup which I developed a few years ago. Every time I make it for friends they just love it and so do I!
Kabocha Squash Soup Recipe
1 medium Kabocha* squash
1 large onion or two small onions
2 large leaves of Kale
4 to 6 cups of water
2 inch piece of fresh ginger
½ tsp Cinnamon, cardamom, coriander,
1 tsp turmeric
5 drops of light Stevia
Add salt & pepper to taste
1. Cut squash in half, scoop out the seeds, then cut the squash into eight pieces.
2. Chop onion and ginger.
3. Put squash, onions and ginger into a steamer and cook till squash is soft. Remove and let cool. Save the flavourful water left over from steaming.
4. Steam chopped Kale a few minutes or until tender.
5. Sauté spices in sesame oil or coconut oil for a couple of minutes.
6. Separate the squash flesh from the skin. Put the cooked squash in a large bowl or pot.
7. Add 3 cups of the leftover water used to steam the squash and stir in onion and ginger.
8. Run the squash and onion mixture through a blender, portion by portion, until you’ve blended it all. You can also use a hand blender and blend it right in the soup pot, which is what I do but do be careful as it can splatter everywhere.
9. Put the blended mixture into a soup pot, adding the broth created from the steamer to attain the consistency you like.
10. Add cooked kale, spices, salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve with a dollop of vegan yogurt or sour cream. I use vegan choices.
* You may use butternut or any dark orange squash.
Feel free to share this by email or Facebook or Twitter by clicking on the “bookmark and share” below. We also love comments.