With onion, ginger, spices and sweet pumpkin, this Halloween soup recipe for pumpkin soup is delicious! I love that it is vegan creamy without all that cow’s milk. The pumpkin seeds on top add a lovely crunch.
I was given a very large pumpkin and did not know what to do with so much. So I created this recipe. I used one-quarter of it in this recipe so I froze the rest for more pumpkin soup later.
This pumpkin superfood is full of antioxidants to help you reduce the risk of cancer and the right nutrients for healthy eyes and beautiful skin.
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- 1 onion medium, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1-11/2 Tbsp fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 2 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1/4 tsp cardamom optional
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 3 cups greens (spinach, kale or swiss chard) chopped
- 4 cups pumpkin chopped
- water to steam the pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (not low-fat) or almond milk
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Steam pumpkin and cook till soft. ( keep some for later in case soup gets too thick).
- Then puree the pumpkin in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) or blend with a hand blender in the pot.
- Cook onions in oil until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add cumin, coriander, and (cardamom if using it) and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the above to the pureed pumpkin.
- Stir in red pepper and chopped greens.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or less.
- Season soup with salt.
- Soup can be thinned with additional water.
- After serving in the bowls add coconut milk.
- Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Now enjoy a bowl of pumpkin soup.
Some More Delicious Soup Recipes
Easy Peasy Green Pea Soup Is Especially Delicious – This green pea soup really is yummy and it is a super easy soup to make. Hearing me say that frozen peas taste good is amazing; as I don’t even like to eat frozen peas. But this creamy green pea soup is really delicious and within a week I had it twice! What I think is the difference is that this is the first time I had organic frozen peas and I am sure they taste better. The other thing about this soup is that it is surprisingly hardy and very filling.
Delightful Pumpkin Stew For One of Your Fall Meals– It is fall, so it’s ‘Stew’ time and I think you’re going to love this ‘Vegan Pumpkin Stew’ recipe! Fall is when I start making lots of vegan stews because they are heartening, nourishing and so easy to make. I have to say that summer is my favourite season, but there is so much beauty at this time of the year. I love walking amongst the beautiful fall leaves.
Borscht with a Difference – Borscht is the best way to get healthy powerfood beets filled with beta-carotene and minerals into our diet. It is quick to cook, easy to vary, and enjoyed by everyone, even children. This is a traditional soup in Ukraine; many people from that country landed in my home city of Edmonton. This is my vegan version with just a few adjustments to the ingredient list.
Creamy Swiss Chard Soup with Almonds is Delicious – This delicious Swiss chard soup is hearty with the addition of potatoes and is very nutritious too. I love that it is so creamy without the addition of cow’s milk and the crunchy almonds on top.
Fresh Quick Pea Soup Recipe– This is a fast soup and delicious soup to make.
Cream of Asparagus Soup Is Delicious – This cream of asparagus soup is dairy-free and gluten-free. It is delicious and simple to make. A creamy soup that is vegan is not so common and that makes this soup extra special.
Enjoy a Cool Tomato Soup On a Hot Summer Day– This is a one bowl serving so if you are making it for two, double the recipe.
Beet Soup – This is a sweet soup with beets, and a hint of orange flavour giving it an interesting twist.