This is a sweet soup with beets, and a hint of orange flavour giving it an interesting twist.
2 medium beets
2 medium carrots, sliced into rounds
1 tablespoon sesame or almond oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon sweet marjoram
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup sugar snap peas, strung
4 cups water
1 tablespoon grated fresh orange rind
3/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
4 teaspoons sour cream (optional)
- Cut the beets into bite size chunks.
- In a stock pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Sauté the onion until it is translucent.
- Add marjoram and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add beets, carrots, onion mixture and water.
- Cook the soup, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add sugar snap peas.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add orange rind, and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup with dollops of sour cream if desired.