I created this potato leek soup at the end of September here in Edmonton, it felt like winter was almost here! This filling and warming soup is perfect for a yummy lunch. The recipe makes a big pot of soup which fed two of us for two lunches. It tastes so good that we also enjoyed it the second day too.
Potato Leek Soup Recipe
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 large leeks, sliced thinly
3 large potatoes (about 1 ½ pounds), chopped into small chunks
2 carrots, chopped
1 Tbsp Spike Seasoning
Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
4 cups water + 2 cups almond or coconut milk
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Put the oil in a large soup pot and warm up over medium heat.
- Add the leeks, stirring occasionally, until the leeks have cooked down.
- Add the water, bring to a boil.
- Now add the potatoes and Spike.
- Lower temperature and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Steam carrots.
- Blend half the soup with the almond milk to create a creamy soup.
- Mix blended mixture with the unblended and add the carrots.
- Mix in the nutritional yeast and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Warm up as the almond milk will have cooled it down.
- Serve and enjoy your creamy, chunky soup.
Try these other delicious soup recipes:
Soba Soup – a Japanese Favourite – If you want a delicious noodle soup recipe that is gluten-free, and perhaps even grain free try this soba soup.
Pumpkin Soup – With onion, ginger, spices, and pumpkin, this soup is delicious! I was given a very large pumpkin and did not know what to do with so much. So I created this recipe.
Kabocha Squash Soup – This is my favorite soup which I developed a few years ago. Every time I make it for friends they just love it and so do I!