The dandelion flower does have health benefits but it has not been as fully researched as the roots and leaves have been, but there are many possible dandelion flower health benefits as well.
In the west, we consider dandelions to be weeds, but in many societies, this beautiful plant is considered an important medicinal herb. It also tastes great!
The following is a list of dandelion flower health benefits that are for the petals themselves. The root and the leaves have even stronger properties and are more fully researched.
Possible Health Benefits of Dandelion Flowers
- Dandelion flowers are a source of antioxidants.
- They Relieve pain from headaches, backaches, and menstrual cramps
- They Relieve stomach cramps.
- Relieves depression.
- A chemical compound known as helenin found in dandelion flowers may be the cure for those with a problem of reduced vision in the dark.
- Dandelion petals also contain Vitamin A and Vitamin B12 which are also good the eyes.
- In 1956, Chauvin demonstrated the antibacterial effects of dandelion pollen, which may validate the centuries-old use of dandelion flowers in Korean folk medicine to prevent boils, skin infections, tuberculosis, and edema and promote blood circulation.
Dandelion Flower Facts and Trivia:
- The botanical name is taraxacum officinale.
- Dandelions were brought to the United States originally from Europe and Asia and were transported for its health benefits.
- In French they are called pissenlit – literally ‘bedpissers’, an homage to the plant’s diuretic properties.
- Other names of this plant are: Blow Ball Cankerwort, Lion’s Tooth, Pissabed Priest’s-crown, Puff Ball, Pu Gong Ying, Pu-kung-ying, Swine Snout, Telltime, White Endive, Wild Endive
- The syrup is sweet, yet tangy, with strong herbal, honey-pollen, and citrus notes.
- Make into an herbal tea by steeping several in hot water. Homemade dandelion flower wine can also be made from the petals I hear.
Learn More About Dandelions
10 Health Benefits of Dandelion Roots – The benefits of dandelion roots seem to stem from this weed herb’s tonic effect on the liver. Dandelions are very economical herbs considering that they are weeds that most of us dig and get rid of!
Dandelion Madness – Every morning, particularly in the spring, you can catch me scampering around my front lawn in my bare feet. Yes this is fun and yes, this is actually good for you.
Dandelions Benefits: A Celebration of This Spring Flower – Dandelions benefits cannot be dismissed as they have been used as food and for medicine for thousands of years. Every part of this plant is extremely good for you! There are many dandelions health benefits for us.
Dandelion Flower Recipes
Dandelion Flower Pancakes -No milk or eggs, but lots of health and good taste.
Dandelion Flower Syrup -You can taste the unique sweetness from the yellow petals.
Dandelion Flower Cordial – The word cordial sounds tasty, and it’s very appropriate in this case!