This is a tasty vegetable stew with peanut butter and it is filled with superfood vegetables. The sweet potatoes add that sweetness to the stew making it extra tasty. It has good vegan protein from the peanut butter too. It is very good for cold winter days.
Peanut butter is surprisingly filled with health benefits. It is high in protein and healthy oil which can help with diabetes, weight loss, and Alzheimer’s disease.
No food is perfect, though; there are some cautions with peanuts. Hopefully, you are not one of the 1% that is highly allergic to peanuts.
Make sure you are using good peanut butter. Read the label. Natural, old-fashioned organic peanut butter with no hydrogenated fats and sugar is the best. Choose peanut butter that contains only peanuts and salt. This kind is full of peanut flavor and doesn’t contain additives and is better for the environment too. Refrigerate it and turn it upside down in the fridge so the peanut oils and solids can re-mix.
This is good peanut butter with no unhealthy additives and is organic too.
Smucker’s Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
I am a big fan of chunky peanut butter cause I like the crunch: Smucker’s Organic Natural Peanut Butter-chunky.
Just so you know, Real Food for Life may collect compensation from the Amazon links on this page because I am an Amazon affiliate.
Find out more about all of the healthy ingredients I used for this recipe:
- Sweet potato: Don’t let the ‘sweet’ in a sweet potato scare you. They actually have a lower glycemic index than white potatoes. That means they are less likely to produce insulin resistance and its accompanying health problems, including weight gain. They are a smart carb, very rich in carotenoids, vitamins A, B6, C, potassium, iron, and fiber. They provide a wealth of health benefits and are a great addition to your meals.
- Potatoes: One of the most commonly eaten vegetables on the planet has its fans and its enemies. Learn about its many health benefits (the good) its health concerns (the bad) and its controversial effect on weight management (the ugly).
- Zucchini: I love Zucchini; it is one of my favourite vegetables. It is sweet, easy and quick to cook. They are low in calories and high in antioxidants.
- Green beans: Green beans are full of so many health benefits. They are a tasty healthy option to add to a meal. Many of us grow them in our garden so we can eat them fresh in the summer. The really good news is that this superfood has health benefits from helping lose weight to preventing the spread of HIV to lowering the risk of cancer.
- Red pepper: The red pepper which is my favourite; I think that is because it is sweeter. The peppers have 2 times as much vitamin C as oranges; red and yellow peppers have 4 times as much.
- Onion: WHO recognizes that onions help relieve symptoms such as coughs, congestion asthma, and respiratory infections. Onions are full of protective phytonutrients, vitamins, trace minerals, quercetin (an important flavonoid), chromium, and unique anti-inflammatory nutrients.
- Garlic: To get the most health benefits from garlic, let it sit for a minimum of 5 minutes, after cutting and before eating or cooking. Waiting for 5 – 10 minutes allows the health-promoting allicin to form. If you do not let it sit, allicin is never formed, so it is worth the wait
- Ginger: Ginger is a wonderful herb superfood full of health benefits. Spicy aromatic ginger adds a unique flavour to meals and beverages. The many wonderful health benefits of ginger also cause the cells of my body to glow with gratitude.
- Himalayan salt: Salt that is actually healthy for you!
Now time to cook up your ‘Vegetable Stew with Peanut Butter’.
Vegetable Stew with Peanut Butter
- 1 large sweet potato chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large zucchini chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup green beans chopped
- 1 cup red pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves (optional) minced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1-3 tsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Himalayan salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups water
- 1/2-2/3 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter use the amount you will enjoy
- garnish with roasted peanuts chopped
- Chop all of the vegetables, garlic, and ginger.
- Put the potatoes, onion and sweet potato and spices in a large cooking pot with 2 cups water.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and green beans to the pot and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Then add the red pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the corn.
- Pour out a cup of the stew water and mix the peanut butter in.
- Just before serving the stew, stir in peanut butter.
- Serve with peanuts garnish if desired.
- Now enjoy your Delicious 'Vegetable Stew with Peanut Butter'.
More Tasty Peanut Butter Recipes
You don’t need a recipe to spread peanut butter on bread or celery, but the following recipes go way beyond that!
Delicious Carob Banana Pudding – This carob banana pudding is so simple and fast to make. It is a delicious dessert filled with the health benefits of carob, banana and peanut butter.
Peanut Butter Bliss Balls -This is one of those recipes that originated in my hippy days in the Kootenays of British Columbia, Canada. We had a variety of flavours of ‘Bliss Balls’; this was a favorite.
Peanut Butter Sauce with Ginger – I love this peanut butter sauce, the ginger makes it extra delicious. This is one of those lifesaver recipes when you have a sudden, unexpectedly dinner guest. Steamed vegetables and rice is simple and fast but what do you jazz it up with?
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie – Start your day with a green smoothie with peanut butter and notice a difference! This is a very simple smoothie with fresh spinach, banana, peanut butter, and coconut milk. It is full of vitamins, minerals, and even protein!
More Warming and Hearty Recipes:
Delightful Pumpkin Stew For One of Your Fall Meals– It is fall, so it’s ‘Stew’ time and I think you’re going to love this ‘Vegan Pumpkin Stew’ recipe! Fall is when I start making lots of vegan stews because they are heartening, nourishing and so easy to make. I have to say that summer is my favourite season, but there is so much beauty at this time of the year. I love walking amongst the beautiful fall leaves.
Lentil Stew – Lentil stew has all the benefits of the mighty powerfood lentils plus much more. And it tastes great.
Steamed Winter Vegetables – It is important to get a variety of vegetables into our bodies every day and here are some great winter vegetables.
Powerful Anti-Inflammatory Vegetable Stew – This is a very nutritious stew with 4 of the 12 Top Anti-Inflammatory Foods. It is an easy stew to make.
2 thoughts on “Vegetable Stew with Peanut Butter Is Warming and Tasty”
Tasty but a bit overpowering with the peanut butter flavor! Next time I’ll use less.
Not enough liquid in the recipe and I added crushed Rosemary.