Sweet Delicious Grapefruit Recipes…And Tips To Find The Sweetest Ingredients
Grapefruits have a reputation of being sour and bitter, which can be a bit of a turn-off. If you learn how to choose a tasty grapefruit and some delicious ways to eat them, grapefruits can be sweet!
How to Choose a Sweet Grapefruit
- Slightly soft and heavy are the first things to feel for. The heaviness means the interior has been converted into sugar.
- Winter is the best season to eat grapefruit.
- Oro Blanco grapefruit is the sweetest, most tender, and juiciest of all the grapefruits. It has a golden yellow peel with a thick rind, and pith up to a 1/2 inch deep with a large hollow core.
- Pink and red grapefruits are sweeter than the other white grapefruit varieties as a general rule. Choose a grapefruit with at least some red pigment for the sweetest fruit. Also, red and pink grapefruit get their colour from lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that helps fight cancer.
- A good quality pink or red grapefruit has a smooth, firm, glossy thin peel. When the rind is thin, the fruit will be sweeter. When the peel is thick, the grapefruit is not ripe.
- Look for an imperfect looking grapefruit when buying pink or red ones. Look for small irregular patches of gray brown on the peel, as that is a sign of sweetness. Those patches developed from being in cold weather as they take up to 18 months to ripen. Often, they are harvested before they are ripe because markings are thought to spoil the beauty of the fruit. However, this need for perfection has given us sour grapefruits!
- Grapefruits that are light and spongy, have a hard and thick peel, or are green in colour, are not sweet.
Now that you know how to select the best, sweetest grapefruit, here are three delicious healthy grapefruit recipes.
Some individuals add sugar to reduce the sourness of grapefruit but there are healthy alternatives to white sugar.
Healthy Homemade Grapefruit Juice
Store-bought grapefruit juice with sugar and added preservatives is not healthy. Also, it has usually been brought to a high temperature to preserve it, which reduces its nutritional value. The best way to have a healthy glass of grapefruit juice full of health benefits is to make it yourself. You do not need a juicer. In fact using a blender is better because a juicer removes the pulp, which is full of nutrients.
Love This? Never Miss Another Story.
1 large grapefruit
1 cup of cold water
Few drops of liquid Stevia or 1 tsp. Honey (optional)
- Peel the grapefruit rind off.
2. Cut grapefruit into quarters.
3. Put the grapefruit into the blender and blend.
4. Add one cup of cold water.
5. Add honey to reduce the juice’s bitterness.
6. Now blend at ‘Liquefy’ for one minute at high speed until mixture is thoroughly liquefied.
7. Serve in a tall glass.
8. Drink within 15 minutes so it doesn’t lose its vitamins.
This smoothie is ‘smoother’ than you would expect!
Winter Grapefruit Smoothie
How about a colourful fruit breakfast filled with nutritious greens, grapefruit, orange and flax seeds?
This nutritious smoothie is very filling too.
1/2 grapefruit, peeled and chopped into pieces
1 orange, peeled and chopped into pieces
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup kale
1 celery stalk
1/2 – 3/4 cup warm – hot water (not boiling)
2 Tbsp golden flax seeds or Meal + 1/4 cup water
Few drops of Stevia
- Add warm water to flax seeds.
2. Blend grapefruit and orange first until liquefied.
3. Then add kale, blend until liquefied.
4. Add flax and blend.
5. Add spinach, pushing it down with celery stock.
6. Only add as much water as you need to keep it blending.
7. Blend until smooth; use the liquefy button on the blender.
8. Drink within 15 minutes to get all the nutrients.
This salad tastes as good as it looks!
Avocado Grapefruit Salad
This tasty salad is so beautiful. Red grapefruit is full of lycopene, which is more easily absorbed with some oil, thus the avocados and olive oil.
1 red grapefruit
1 white grapefruit
1 large avocado
Couple of fresh mint sprigs, with stems removed
1 Tbsp Virgin olive oil
Sprinkle of Himalayan salt
- Prepare grapefruit by peeling and sectioning.
2. Remove skin from grapefruit.
3. Remove avocado from the peel and cut into sections as shown in the photo.
4. Arrange avocado onto a plate.
5. Cover with grapefruit.
6. Now drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt and mint.
May you enjoy this wonderful fruit with these yummy recipes
10 Super Sneaky Weight Loss tips Tips
Grapefruit, Not Just For Weight Loss Anymore