I am quite fastidious about the way beans are cooked as I do not like experiencing the common thing we all associate beans with…GAS! So here is what I do:
Cooking Beans & Lentils
1. Wash beans in cold water and soak overnight in three times the volume of water.
2. Next day, pour off the water.
3. Place beans in a pot and cover with water 1 inch above the level of the beans.
4. Bring to a boil.
5. Let simmer with lid ajar.
6. Skim off the foam.
7. Add more water if necessary. Beans should always be covered with water while cooking.
8. Cooking time will vary according to the type, size and age of the bean.
9. Most beans will need approximately 2 hours cooking time. Lentils will take between 30 minutes to one hour.
10. Beans or lentils should be soft; this is when they are cooked. This is the stage that you can salt and add other seasonings. Do not add salt while cooking as above.
Get more super healthy tasty vegan, gluten free recipes and useful lifestyle tips sent to you once a week, subscribe to the newsletter.
Here are some very tasty vegan bean and lentil recipes:
Red Lentil Soup
Copyright © Diana Herrington www.RealFoodforLife.com