This chickpea pie is a very tasty meal which does take a little extra time to prepare but it is worth it. The great news is that it is dairy-free meaning it is vegan and gluten-free too!
Delicious chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans are a wonderful superfood full of health benefits are and are a culinary healthy treat! Hummus made from them is delicious. Have you ever eaten falafel? Did you know that their main ingredient is chickpeas? Add chickpeas to your salads, soups, and stews adding high nutritional value to your meals and a very good protein too.
Beans can be challenging to the digestive system due to their high fiber and starch. Learn 7 Ways To Avoid Gas from Beans.
I am quite fastidious about how to cook beans and lentils as I do not like experiencing the common thing we all associate beans with…GAS! I now feel good after eating beans and lentils because there is not all that gas and smelly farts.
It is easy to cook beans but it requires planning ahead of time. Learn how to cook beans, see my recipe. How To Cook Beans and Lentils To Prevent Gas
Creamy Chickpea and Rice Pie Recipe
1. Cook the chickpeas from this recipe: How To Cook Beans and Lentils To Prevent Gas
2. Saute onion, cumin, coriander, and cardamom in a little vegetable oil.
2. Add chickpeas, salt and tahini.
3. Mix together, adding more water if necessary for a creamy sauce.
4. Set aside.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Pour into Rice Pie Shell.
Bake at 450º for 25 – 35 minutes.
Rice Pie Shell
1 cup cooked short grain brown rice
2 Tbsp. Chickpea flour
2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
1/2 to 2/3 cup water
1. Oil pie pan well.
2. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
3. Add a little water to rice and chickpea flour to form a sticky dough-like mixture.
4. Press rice into pan to form a pie shell.
5. Pour in Creamy Chickpea Pie Filling.
6. Bake at 450 F for 25 – 35 minutes.
PS: I like to use Raw Organic Sesame Seeds and buy lots at the same time at a good price.