I made this rice pulao for a potluck birthday party a few years ago; it was a favourite.
I took all of my favourite pulao ideas and put them together into this one recipe and I am happy to say it is the best one I have come up with so far!!!!!
This pulao has a unique flavour because of the cardamom and fried cashews and sultanas. Coconut is added to give a nuttiness to the pulao. It is important to use ghee instead of vegetable oil as this also gives it a wonderful flavour.
Cardamom/Coconut Rice Pulao
1 cup brown Basmati rice
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
1 tsp cardamom seeds (fresh from the pods)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
4 Tbsp desiccated coconut (unsweetened) or fresh grated coconut
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper* (optional)
2 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil
3 Tbsp cashews or peanuts
3 Tbsp sultanas or raisins
2 1/4 cups water
- Wash the rice under flowing water to remove any dust etc.
- In a heavy skillet, add 1 Tbsp ghee.
- When the ghee becomes hot, add the cashews and raisins.
- Fry until the cashews are lightly-browned turn.
- Remove from the pan and put them on a paper towel so that the ghee is absorbed.
- Again, keep the pan on heat, add 1 Tbsp ghee.
- When the ghee becomes hot, add mustard seeds.
- Then add cinnamon, pepper, cardamom seeds and coconut and fry until the coconut turns golden brown.
- Add rice and turmeric, stir-fry for a few minutes.
- Add water, salt and mix well.
- Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 50 – 55 minutes until the rice is tender and fluffy.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle fried cashews and raisins on top and serve hot.
* I never put the pepper in but I know many people like their Indian food spicy.
Try these delicious rice dishes:
Sweet Bell Peppers Stuffed with Wild Rice – This sweet bell peppers recipe with wild rice is a favourite of mine. It’s yummy, beautiful and nutritious!
Creamy Chickpea and Rice Pie – This chickpea pie is a very tasty meal which does take a little extra time to prepare but it is worth it.
Luxurious Brown Rice Pudding – This brown rice pudding and the creamy sauce that goes with it, is sugar-free, dairy-free, and egg-free and it tastes great!