This is a traditional Middle Eastern Hummus dip; it is a blend of garbanzo beans, garlic, olive oil, and tahini. A great dip for a party or picnic. Who doesn’t enjoy delicious hummus? The other great thing about this dip is that it is dairy-free and gluten-free too.
Delicious chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans are a wonderful superfood full of health benefits are and are a culinary healthy treat! Hummus made from them is delicious. Have you ever eaten falafel? Did you know that their main ingredient is chickpeas? Add chickpeas to your salads, soups, and stews adding high nutritional value to your meals and a very good protein too.
Beans can be challenging to the digestive system due to their high fiber and starch. Learn 7 Ways To Avoid Gas from Beans.
To get the tastiest and least gas-forming chickpeas, it is best to cook your own. See this research done on the best taste of chickpeas.
It is best to prepare them from dried beans.
I am quite fastidious about how to cook beans and lentils as I do not like experiencing the common thing we all associate beans with…GAS! I now feel good after eating beans and lentils because there is not all that gas and smelly farts.
It is easy to cook beans but it requires planning ahead of time. Learn how to cook beans, see my recipe. How To Cook Beans and Lentils To Prevent Gas
Authentic Hummus Recipe
2 cups cooked chickpeas
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons tahini
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon), plus more to taste
1 small clove of garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Himalayan Salt to taste
- First cook your dry chickpeas as in the recipe How To Cook Beans and Lentils To Prevent Gas
- Drain the chickpeas, save some of the water to use later. Keep a few chickpeas for a garnish.
- Put all ingredients in a blender or better is a food processor. You can add some of the saved water if it needs it for blending.
- Blend until it is very smooth which will be 1 to 3 minutes. You may need to scrape the inside of the blender to blend large chunks.
- Taste to see if this is the hummus you enjoy. You can add more lemon juice or olive oil to make the hummus creamier.
- Put into a bowl, drizzle a little olive oil, sprinkle with paprika and cilantro leaves. Or garnish with few chickpeas or olives.
- Serve with pita chips or raw vegetables. It will keep for up to a week in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Cook your own chickpeas from scratch.
- Add more cumin for more flavour.
- For a lemony hummus, add more lemon juice.
- Make an olive hummus, mix in 1/2 cup of chopped green or black olives.
- Create a nutty hummus by blending in some walnuts or pine nuts.
If time and patience allow, pinch the skins from each of the chickpeas; this will make your hummus smoother. I never do it as it does not make it taste any different and for me, it is all about taste.
One More Chickpea Recipe
Creamy Chickpea and Rice Pie – This chickpea pie is a very tasty meal which does take a little extra time to prepare but it is worth it. The great news is that it is dairy-free meaning it is vegan and gluten-free too!
More Tasty Dip and Pesto Recipes
Avocado Vegetable Dip – What I like about this raw avocado vegetable dip is that it is full of vegetables; adding the celery makes it crunchy and not so rich as well as healthier.
Creamy Butter Bean Dip – This butter bean dip is very tasty, healthy and vegan. The creamy texture makes it good for a dip. Also, very easy to make.
Fancy Pineapple Salsa – This pineapple salsa recipe is full of health the benefits of pineapple adding excitement to your party food, snacks or even a meal with this very tasty recipe.
Yogurt Dip – This yogurt dip is nutritious with no additives that you get in store bought dips. Also, it is simple and easy to make.
Guacamole Recipe – It is easy to make this and so delicious too!
Vegan Hemp Heart Pesto is Nut Free and Delicious – This hemp heart pesto is vegan, nut-free and raw. It makes lunch or dinner extra delicious. Most pestos have cheese in them which doesn’t work for those of us who eat dairy-free. I always make my pestos without the cheese. For some, it is best not to eat lots of nuts and this hemp heart pesto is perfect as the hemp hearts add the flavour and texture without the nuts.
Delicious Vegan Pesto – I love this vegan pesto without the cheese; it tastes like the real thing only better to me! Toss with pasta or serve with bread or crackers for an appetizer.
Fresh Peppermint Pesto Is So Tasty on Pasta – I love this vegan peppermint pesto during the hot summer. Try it on raw zucchini pasta or even added to your cooked grains or on top of steamed vegetables.