This hemp heart pesto is vegan, nut-free and raw. It makes lunch or dinner extra delicious. Most pestos have cheese in them which doesn’t work for those of us who eat dairy-free. I always make my pestos without the cheese. For some, it is best not to eat lots of nuts and this hemp heart pesto is perfect as the hemp hearts add the flavour and texture without the nuts.
It is very tasty! Also, it is easy to make this simple raw pesto, no cooking required. And it is full of healthy Superfoods.
Now, time to make your own hemp heart pesto.
Hemp Heart Pesto
- 1-3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups fresh basil or spinach leaves or arugula
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Wash and dry the basil leaves.
- Chop the garlic.
- Put the basil, garlic, and hemp seeds into a food processor fitted with the S blade.
- Pulse about 10 times, to help break down the basil
- Add all of the remaining ingredients. to the blender
- Process till smooth, adding an extra drizzle of olive oil if needed to thin the pesto
- Taste and add more salt if needed
- It is great served on pasta, or as a dip, on salads, pizzas, toast or whatever you would like!
- Store in a glass container in the fridge.
My Hemp Heart Pesto Meal
This is a meal I made with this tasty hemp pesto. I cooked up some brown rice pasta. Sauteed some onions and mushrooms to mix in with the pasta and pesto. Steamed up some carrots to go on the side. It was a delicious lunch!
Have you heard of the olive oil fraud?
Find out Which Olive Oil to Buy.
Try some of my other tasty pesto recipes:
Vegan Zucchini Pesto – This zucchini pesto is lighter than the regular pesto as it has less oil and adds a refreshing zest of zucchini to your pasta. Also, I prefer not to use cheese and the nutritional yeast gives it a delicious flavor.
Tasty Vegan Chickweed Pesto – This chickweed pesto is vegan, is easy to make and tastes great! One of the best things about it is that it is made from a weed that grows everywhere. It is a delicate green weed which is so good for pesto. Toss with pasta or serve with bread or crackers for an appetizer.
Fresh Peppermint Pesto Is So Tasty on Pasta – I love this vegan peppermint pesto during the hot summer. Try it on raw zucchini pasta or even added to your cooked grains or on top of steamed vegetables.
Arugula Pesto Recipe – Healthy and Dairy Free – This arugula pesto is a favorite of mine and it is great to be able to use walnuts instead of the wonderful pine nuts with are so expensive. Usually, cheese is an ingredient when making a pesto recipe but there is no cheese in this and it still has a cheesy flavor thanks to the Nutritional Yeast used.