This zucchini pesto is lighter than the regular pesto as it has less oil and adds a refreshing zest of zucchini to your pasta. Also, I prefer not to use cheese and the nutritional yeast gives it a delicious flavour.
2 cups grated zucchini
1/2 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup spinach or kale
2/3 + 1/3 c for later cup pine nuts
1 – 5 cloves garlic (optional)
1/4 – 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 -3/4 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
1/2 cup olive oil
- Put zucchini, olive oil, garlic, and salt into a blender.
- Blend coarsely and then add pine nuts, basil, and spinach.
- Blend until smooth. Pesto is best to not be completely smooth; a little texture is good.
- Now remove from blender and mix in the extra 1/3 cup pine nuts.
- Enjoy with pasta or use as a dip.
More pesto recipes:
Arugula Pesto Recipe – Healthy and Dairy Free