I love this healthy sweet plum cake that is gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free cake. For me, it is also important that there are no unhealthy sugars and any healthy sugars be in small quantities. Being vegan is important to me. This is why I create recipes like the plum cake. Enjoy!
Coconut oil is actually very good for us. In tropical climates like Polynesia, Sri Lanka, and the Yucatan where they have a diet high in coconut oil, the people are healthier, have less heart disease, cancer, and colon problems than unsaturated fat eaters. It is now accepted that there is good cholesterol and there are good saturated fats. Learn the 12 benefits of Coconut Oil, this newly declared an Amazing SuperFood.
As I don’t use sugar for my baking I often use stevia which is the healthy option. The stevia plant is incredibly sweet and also incredibly good for you. The leaf is 30 times sweeter than sugar while extracts are 300-400 times sweeter. The best stevia will, therefore, be the one that retains some whole food value and is water-based. Liquid forms will be less processed. Go here to learn How to Get the Best Stevia Without the Bitterness
Arrowroot and kudzu are high-quality starches that will add amazing texture and taste to your custards and puddings. I’m happy I discovered them in my macrobiotic (grain-based diet) days. I used to bake with cornstarch like most people — which is not a healthy ingredient. Find out more about Arrowroot for Gluten-Free and Vegan Recipes.
Ginger is a wonderful herb superfood full of health benefits. Spicy aromatic ginger adds a unique flavour to meals and beverages. The many wonderful health benefits of ginger also cause the cells of my body to glow with gratitude. Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurvedic medicine have used ginger to help cure and prevent health problems for thousands of years.
Potato Flour is high in fibre and protein and is a fine creamy white-yellow powder. It is made from dehydrated whole potatoes and is a healthy substitute for xanthan gum or guar gum. Cautions: Don’t confuse with potato starch. Use much less.
Brown Rice Flour has become a staple in my baking adding fiber and nutrition. It assists in weight loss, helps reduce cholesterol, and balances energy. It is low cost and adds a somewhat dry gritty crumbly texture.
Brown Rice Syrup is made from cooked brown rice, which is fermented by adding enzymes to turn the starches in the rice into sugars. Brown rice syrup is absorbed easily into our system, leaving less for fat accumulation in contrast with regular sugar. It is a complex sugar thus takes longer to digest and does not create the sugar high that the simple sugars do.
For this recipe and all my recipes, I use Himalayan salt which is actually good for you!
Time to make sweet plum cake!
Sweet Plum Cake
- 2 1/2 cups prune plums
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rice syrup
- 1 tsp stevia
- 4 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2/3 cup water or 1/2 a cup if you prefer a drier cake
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Oil and lightly flour an 8” X 8” cake pan.
- Chop 2 cups of plums into one-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle the plums with ginger.
- Slice 1/2 cup plums into slices to decorate the top of the cake.
- Blend the oil, rice syrup, and water in a blender or mix well in a bowl.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, and the salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the chopped plums to the dry flour mixture.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Mix quickly.
- Immediately pour the batter into a cake pan.
- Decorate the top of the cake with plums.
- Bake at 375º F. oven for 35 To 40 minutes.
* This is for an egg-free vegan recipe, learn more about Eggs Substitutes.
I hope you enjoyed my sweet plum cake recipe.
Note: If you are considering going gluten-free
- Read: Can a Gluten-Free Diet Help You Lose Weight?
- Listen to a Healthy & Gluten-Free Baking Radio Interview with Diana
- Learn how to make sinfully delicious gluten-free treats and desserts that are still healthy for you. Health GF Baking Training
- Read 11 Gluten-Free Grains to learn some of the alternatives and their many benefits.
- Check out: Diana’s Gluten-Free Recipes Make sure you are subscribed to the newsletters for the latest recipes.
- Consider doing one of my Healthy Online Courses. All of the recipes for the courses are gluten-free.
Here is a favorite plum recipe of mine:
Plum Crumble – This plum crumble is delicious and very healthy too because there is no white sugar in it. Also, it is an extremely easy to make dessert.
Here are a couple of prune recipes:
Sweet Prune Fruit Pudding with Custard is Delicious – This prune fruit pudding made with the fruit compote is so delicious. What makes this pudding so special is being topped with the vegan custard. Also, what I really like about it is that there is no sugar added.
Prune Powerballs are Yummy and Full of Energy – These prune power balls rolled in coconut have a bit of history. Back in the hippy days, they were the famous ‘Bliss Balls’ that we all made very frequently. We made them with what we now call healthy superfoods.
Fruit Compote – very easy to make and delicious too.
Yummy Prune Jam is Sugar-Free with Apples and Cinnamon – This prune jam was so easy to make. Adding the cinnamon made it extra delicious. I did add a little stevia to make it taste more like a jam. This recipe makes two small jars.
Learn how to How to Select, Store and Prepare Plums