I love this healthy delicious sweet plum cake recipe that is gluten-free, vegan meaning it is dairy-free, and an egg-free cake. For me, it is also important that there are no unhealthy sugars and any healthy sugars be in small quantities. Creating vegan recipes that are gluten-free is very important to me. This is why I create recipes like this plum cake. I hope you enjoy it!
Plum Cake Vegan Gluten-Free Recipe Ingredients:
This is a very important ingredient in this plum cake recipe. I love plums! The best things about them are that plums are a low-calorie superfood that won’t spike your blood sugar levels and the plum benefits for your health are outstanding.
Learn about all the Health Benefits of Plums For Your Health.
Coconut oil is actually very good for us. In tropical climates like Polynesia, Sri Lanka, and the Yucatan where they have a diet high in coconut oil, the people are healthier, have less heart disease, cancer, and colon problems than unsaturated fat eaters. It is now accepted that there is good cholesterol and there are good saturated fats. Learn the 12 benefits of Coconut Oil, this newly declared Amazing SuperFood.
As I don’t use sugar for my baking I often use stevia which is a healthy option and what I used for this plum cake recipe. The stevia plant is incredibly sweet and also incredibly good for you. The leaf is 30 times sweeter than sugar while extracts are 300-400 times sweeter. The best stevia will, therefore, be the one that retains some whole food value and is water-based. Liquid forms will be less processed. Go here to learn How to Get the Best Stevia Without the Bitterness
Ginger adds a zing to the plum cake recipe. It is a wonderful herb superfood full of health benefits. Spicy aromatic ginger adds a unique flavour to meals and beverages. The many wonderful health benefits of ginger also cause the cells of my body to glow with gratitude. Chinese medicine and Indian Ayurvedic medicine have used ginger to help cure and prevent health problems for thousands of years.
The potato flour helps hold the mixture together in this gluten-free vegan plum cake recipe. Naturevibe Botanicals Potato Flour (1lbs)
It is also a great thickener in gravies, sauces, and even in custards and puddings, which typically use cornflour.
Arrowroot and kudzu are high-quality starches that will add amazing texture and taste to your custards and puddings. I’m happy I discovered them in my macrobiotic (grain-based diet) days. I used to bake with cornstarch like most people — which is not a healthy ingredient. Find out more about Arrowroot for Gluten-Free and Vegan Recipes. It holds the plum cake recipe together.
Brown Rice Flour
The other thing I like about this sweet plum cake recipe is that it is gluten-free and vegan. Brown rice flour is actually good for us as it has the nutrients that you will find in brown rice. This helps this cake to be wheat-free.
Bob’s Red Mill Organic Brown Rice Flour is:
- An absolute staple in gluten-free baking, brown rice flour is incredibly versatile
- The 100-Percent stone ground on a very fine setting
- Not gritty to prevent a common complaint about many brown rice flours
Brown Rice Syrup
Brown Rice Syrup is made from cooked brown rice, which is fermented by adding enzymes to turn the starches in the rice into sugars. Brown rice syrup is absorbed easily into our system, leaving less for fat accumulation in contrast with regular sugar. It is a complex sugar thus takes longer to digest and does not create the sugar high that simple sugars do. This is a very healthy sweetener for the plum cake recipe.
Unregulated chemicals in tap water are not good for us! Most of us already know that our tap water is filled with unregulated chemicals! And many of us always filter it before drinking it. I have for decades.
Here is the water filter I am using and am very happy with it. The only way to remove fluoride is to use a reverse osmosis system and some are better than others. When I did my research this is the one I decided on.
APEC Water System, 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
For this recipe and all my recipes, I use Himalayan salt which is actually good for you!
Time to make a sweet plum cake recipe that is vegan and gluten-free!
Plum Cake Recipe - Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 2 1/2 cups prune plums
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup rice syrup
- 1 tsp stevia
- 4 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2/3 cup water or 1/2 a cup if you prefer a drier cake
- Preheat the oven to 375º F.
- Oil and lightly flour an 8” X 8” cake pan.
- Chop 2 cups of plums into one-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle the plums with ginger.
- Slice 1/2 cup plums into slices to decorate the top of the cake.
- Blend the oil, rice syrup, and water in a blender or mix well in a bowl.
- Mix the flours, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the chopped plums to the dry flour mixture.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Mix quickly.
- Immediately pour the batter into a cake pan.
- Decorate the top of the cake with plums.
- Bake at 375º F. oven for 35 To 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and when cool serve your 'Plum Cake Recipe that Is Vegan and Gluten-Free.
* This is for an egg-free vegan recipe, learn more about Eggs Substitutes.
I hope you enjoyed my sweet plum cake recipe.
Note: If you are considering going gluten-free
- Read: Can a Gluten-Free Diet Help You Lose Weight?
- Listen to a Healthy & Gluten-Free Baking Radio Interview with Diana
- Learn how to make sinfully delicious gluten-free treats and desserts that are still healthy for you. Health GF Baking Training
- Read 11 Gluten-Free Grains to learn some of the alternatives and their many benefits.
- Check out: Diana’s Gluten-Free Recipes Make sure you are subscribed to the newsletters for the latest recipes.
- Consider doing one of my Healthy Online Courses. All of the recipes for the courses are gluten-free.
Here is a favorite plum recipe of mine:
Plum Crumble – This plum crumble is delicious and very healthy too because there is no white sugar in it. Also, it is extremely easy to make dessert.
Here are a couple of prune recipes:
Sweet Prune Fruit Pudding with Custard is Delicious – This prune fruit pudding made with the fruit compote is so delicious. What makes this pudding so special is being topped with vegan custard. Also, what I really like about it is that there is no sugar added.
Prune Powerballs are Yummy and Full of Energy – These prune power balls rolled in coconut have a bit of history. Back in the hippy days, they were the famous ‘Bliss Balls’ that we all made very frequently. We made them with what we now call healthy superfoods.
Yummy Prune Jam is Sugar-Free with Apples and Cinnamon – This prune jam was so easy to make. Adding the cinnamon made it extra delicious. I did add a little stevia to make it taste more like a jam. This recipe makes two small jars.
Fruit Compote – very easy to make and delicious too.
Learn how to How to Select, Store and Prepare Plums
- Learn to Bake Healthy Sweets
- Gluten-Free Healthy Baking that is Soy-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-Free, & Wheat-free
- Sinfully Delicious and Healthy Too!
- Wouldn’t it be great to eat cookies and tarts as you did as a child, innocently enjoying the sweetness and textures without worrying about the downside?