These date squares are wheat-free and full of only healthy superfood ingredients. Most date squares are just way too sweet to be healthy. So when I developed this recipe; my own version is less sweet and tastes even better. You will find it hard to stop at only one.
Wheat-free Date Square Ingredients
Of course, this is the main ingredient.
Benefits of dates:
- Dates are rich in natural fibers and lots of nutrients: calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, magnesium and many other trace nutrients.
- They are easily digested so they are great for giving quick energy.
- They have been found to help in the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestines.
- Studies have shown that they can be good for those with a weak heart.
- They are good as a tonic for improving sexual stamina and preventing sterility.
- Handpicked and treated with care
- The King of Dates and the Date of Kings
- High in potassium and fiber
- Sustained natural energy source
One of the binding ingredients is coconut oil which is actually very good for us. In tropical climates like Polynesia, Sri Lanka and the Yucatan where they have a diet high in coconut oil, the people are healthier, have less heart disease, cancer, and colon problems than unsaturated fat eaters. It is now accepted that there is good cholesterol and there are good saturated fats. Learn the 12 benefits of Coconut Oil, this newly declared Amazing SuperFood.
This is a very important ingredient in the date squares.
- Oats have lots of manganese, are a very good source of selenium, vitamin B1, dietary fiber, magnesium, protein & phosphorus.
- 1 bowl of oatmeal a day (3 grams of soluble oat fiber) typically lowers total cholesterol by 8-23%.
If you want gluten-free oats, here is a very good one Harvest Gluten Free Organic Rolled Old Fashioned Oats which is good for cooked oatmeal porridge. For making a crumble, it is better to have one like this: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Quick Cooking Rolled Oats
Apples and Lemon Juice
Apples are packed with vitamins C, A, and flavonoids and with smaller amounts of phosphorus, iron, and calcium.
Lemons’ health benefits are immense. To begin they are acidic to the taste but are alkaline-forming in the body. In fact, they are one of the most alkaline-forming superfoods; this makes them great for balancing a highly acidic condition in the body. Also, they are full of many health benefits. Check out the Health Benefits of Lemons, the Alkaline Superfood.
Brown Rice Flour
The other thing I like about these date squares is that they are wheat-free. Brown rice flour is actually good for us as it has the nutrients that you will find in brown rice. This helps these dates squares to be wheat-free.
Bob’s Red Mill Organic Brown Rice Flour is
- An absolute staple in gluten-free baking, brown rice flour is incredibly versatile
- The 100-Percent stone ground on a very fine setting
- Not gritty to prevent a common complaint about many brown rice flours
I use only healthy Himalayan salt in all my recipes. Sherpa Pink Gourmet Himalayan Salt
It is also a great thickener in gravies, sauces, and even in custards and puddings, which typically use cornflour.
Rice Syrup or Honey
Brown rice syrup is made from cooked brown rice, which is fermented by adding enzymes to turn the starches in the rice into sugars. Brown rice syrup is absorbed easily into our system, leaving less for fat accumulation in contrast with regular sugar.
Lundberg Syrup Brown Rice Syrup
- Lightly sweet, amber-colored and smooth
- A nutritive sweetener that is about half as sweet as sugar
- A tasty alternative for those who watch their sugar intake.
Time to make your own wheat-free date squares with this recipe.
Date Squares - Wheat-free
- 1 Apple large
- 2 cups Dates
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Vegetable fat or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Rice syrup or honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 3/4 cup Rolled oats
- 1/4 cup Potato flour
- 3/4 cup Brown rice flour
- Chop the dates and the apples finely.
- Put the water and the apples into a saucepan
- Simmer the apples in water till soft.
- Juice half a lemon.
- Add the dates to the pot and simmer till soft.
- Mash the mixture well.
- Now mix in the lemon juice and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F.
- In a separate bowl, mix in the coconut oil or vegetable fat, rice syrup, and salt.
- Next, add the potato flour and brown rice flour, mix it in well.
- Then add the oats and mix well.
- Pat 2/3 of the mixture into an 8 X 8 pan. Make sure it is firmly patted down.
- Spread the date mixture evenly on top of the oat mixture.
- Then sprinkle the other 1/3 of the oat mixture on top of the dates.
- Lightly press down.
- Bake the squares in the preheated oven at 400º F. for 25 to 35 minutes.
- When they are done, let the wheat-free date squares cool before cutting them and eating them with tea.
Now that you have enjoyed your own yummy wheat-free date squares, here are some more similar recipes for you.
More Delicious Healthy Sweet Squares Recipes
Cranberry Ginger Bars Recipe Are Gluten-Free – These cranberry ginger bars are a very tasty combination of cranberries and ginger! I like anything with ginger but these bars are so good. Of course, all my recipes have no refined sugar or cane sugar making them very healthy. The health benefits of cranberries are almost totally depleted when generous amounts of sugar are added. In this recipe, it is apples and raisins to sweeten the cranberries. In the base and topping, I use rice syrup which helps bind it and gives some sweetness. These are less sweet then the date squares.
Wild Blueberry Squares Are Delicious and Healthy –These wild blueberry squares are so delicious. I have always loved date squares but these wild blueberry ones take squares to a whole other level. What is so good about these squares is that there is no refined sugar in them, just a little healthy rice syrup to hold them together. They are full of very healthy superfoods so they are good for you!
Mango Squares – these are very simple and easy to make and ; you probably have all the ingredients that you need already!
And Some Healthy Wheat-Free Cookie Recipes
Fancy Sunflower Seed Cookies – Gluten Free – These sunflower seed cookies really are fancy, delicious and healthy too! They are gluten-free and vegan which means there are no eggs used. Often cookies are made with lots of butter, white flour and white sugar which are not healthy ingredients. I have developed them with healthy ingredients and no starch.
Yummy Molasses/Tahini Cookies Are Good for You -These molasses/tahini cookies are Middle Eastern-inspired, delicious, and easy to make! Also, they are vegan, and gluten-free too! And they are so very yummy. They are very healthy cookies full of nutrients from molasses, tahini, stevia, and coconut oil. Thick, dark, syrupy, sweet blackstrap molasses is more than something to make candy or cookies with; it has many benefits, from helping prevent cancer to getting rid of grey hair. It is a superfood full of health benefits.
Delicious Gluten-Free Hermit Cookies– These delicious gluten-free hermit cookies are not overly sweet which is why we like them. The best thing is that they are full of very healthy ingredients and are vegan too as I use an egg-substitute. They do have a bit of a drier texture than the ones with wheat in them but don’t be concerned and are still yummy.
- Learn to Bake Healthy Sweets
- Gluten-Free Healthy Baking that is Soy-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-Free, & Wheat-free
- Sinfully Delicious and Healthy Too!
- Wouldn’t it be great to eat cookies and tarts like you did as a child, innocently enjoying the sweetness and textures without worrying about the downside?