Try this very tasty hearty shiitake mushroom soup. It is a wonderful vegan dinner meal. You can always leave out the chili if you are one who does not like a very spicy soup like me.
Shiitake Mushroom Soup Recipe
1/2 block of firm tofu drained and cut into cubes
5 green onions, chopped
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped (optional)
3 – 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
A large piece of fresh ginger, peeled and diced finely
2 Tbsp Soy sauce or tamari to taste
6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Put 4 cups of water into a medium-sized pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water boils add in your green onions, chilli, garlic, ginger and tamari, simmer for a few minutes.
- Now add the mushrooms to the pot and continue to simmer.
- While your pot is simmering use pan to fry the tofu cubes in the sesame oil, fry until the tofu is golden brown on all sides.
- Mix the fried tofu and the bit of the sesame oil from frying into the soup mixture.
- Serve and enjoy your soup.
Note: you can add bok choy or any other greens that you would like to this soup. I often do for extra nutrients and variety.
Try these other great recipes:
Crispy Tasty Tofu is a Great Addition to Meals– I enjoy adding crispy tasty tofu to a meal. It adds a vegan protein which is actually good for us.
Miso Soup With Spinach & Mushrooms – We have come to think of Japanese food as being tempura, teriyaki, and sushi but it is miso soup that the Japanese will not want to live without.