Do you know what the best foods for a summer detox are and that summer is a very good time to detox? This is because fresh organic fruit and vegetables are much more available and it is warm so the body finds it easier to be in a detox process. This is a natural process. When we detox, we eliminate toxins and begin to feel healthier and more energized.
12 Best Foods for a Summer Detox
1. Lemons are the best food for detox in spring, summer, and fall.
- Are highly alkalizing for the body. This helps restore balance to the body’s pH.
- Your liver loves lemons: The lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile” says Back to Eden, Mr. Kloss.
- Lemons stimulate bile production and they help cleanse the kidneys.
2. Watermelon is one of the best foods for a summer detox.
- Is high in dietary fiber. This helps keep the colon clean, helping cleanse your body.
- Contains glutathione that helps improve liver function. Glutathione is the body’s most powerful antioxidant and detoxifying agent.
- Is a good source of potassium. Potassium balances the high amounts of sodium in our diets which supports your kidneys and is great when cleansing.
- Reduces inflammation: Less inflammation means lower toxic load in the body.
- It is extremely alkaline-forming in the body. Fat cells contain toxicity and acid. Your body will not let go of fat cells while you are still acidic.
- Contains high amounts of citrulline. This helps to create arginine which removes ammonia and other toxins from the body.
- 1 cup of watermelon is only 47 calories. This is great for weight loss.
Read more about Watermelon Health Benefits.
Cucumbers are helpful with flushing toxins out of the body.
- A half-cup of sliced cucumber only has 8 calories.
- Highly Alkaline-Forming Food. Eating more alkaline-forming foods is an important part of keeping a balanced diet.
- The high water content in cucumbers gets your urinary system moving.
- So you can see why cucumbers are one of the best foods for a summer detox.
4. Raspberries are low in calories making them an ideal fruit for people who want to lose weight.
- The glycemic index of raspberries is 3, meaning they are a low glycemic load food. They have a low effect on our blood sugar, helping us to maintain it and keeping it from spiking.
5. Blueberries are one of the most healing foods.
- Have been found to reduce inflammation in many studies on animals;
- Have antiviral properties and help to block toxins from crossing the blood-brain barrier to gain access to the delicate brain.
6. Celery is filled with fiber that is good for weight loss and is about 95% water.
- It is a negative calorie food. It takes the body more calories to digest it than the food itself contains.
7. Spinach alkalizing the body helps to balance the body.
- Full of anti-inflammatory antioxidants. Fat cells produce chemistry that creates inflammation which can lead to Obesity.
They contain glutathione which helps the liver detoxify synthetic chemicals.
- It can also lower cholesterol and dilate blood vessels while blocking artery-destroying toxicity.
- Avocado slows down digestion which keeps blood sugar from spiking after a meal.
- The American Diabetes Association says fat is actually important and also the type of fat. They encourage diabetics to add avocado to their diets, as it has healthy fat.
- It was found that those who ate half of a fresh avocado with their lunch had a 40 percent less desire to eat for 3 hours after lunch, and a 28 percent less desire to eat 5 hours after as compared with those who ate lunch with no avocado. Another best food for a summer detox.
9. Strawberries are full of health benefits.
- Good for weight loss as there is the compound nitrate found in a strawberry which promotes blood flow and oxygen in our body and helps with weight loss. One cup contains only 49 calories.
- Helps burn stored fat: The red colouring contains anthocyanins; they stimulate the burning of stored fat. There was reduced weight gain in animals fed a high-fat diet. – Research, The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- Low Calories – High Fiber
This helps with cleansing making it one of the best foods for a summer detox.
10. Flaxseeds have a balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which reduce inflammation.
- Are high soluble and insoluble fiber. This helps stabilize blood sugar and promotes the proper functioning of the intestines, keeps bowel movements regular eliminating toxins.
4 Tbsp flax meal = 8 grams of fiber. Excellent for detoxing of the body. They contain a gummy soluble fiber called mucilage which protects intestinal flora.
- increases “good” cholesterol levels.
- helps keep joints supple, bones strong, and smooth skin.
- For sure one of the best foods for a summer detox
11. Mint leaves are great for summer cooling.
- Help you digest your food more effectively. It improves the flow of bile from the liver to the gallbladder, to the small intestine, where it breaks down dietary fats making it one of the best foods for a summer detox.
- The main ingredients in peppermint (menthol and methyl salicylate) is antispasmodic, which has a calming effect on the digestive tract.
- Lessens Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms
Peppermint oil was found to lessen spasms in the colon of IBS patients, the research found it reduced the symptoms more than the medication Buscopan.
- This superfood is full of many health benefits including increasing memory.
- Did you know it helps keep mosquitos go away too?
12. Water is essential.
- Without water, we would die in a few days. No other nutrient deficiency has such a profound effect. According to reports from doctors, seventy-five percent of Americans may suffer from chronic dehydration.
- Proper drinking of water can help with good digestion and also acid/alkaline balance. Either of these can make the difference between you enjoying good health and suffering! And it is a FREE thing we can do. No cost is involved.
- Proper timing, temperature, and quality of water can help to improve digestion, reduce constipation, balance the body, and many other ways. Read more here: Tips For Drinking Water For Maximum Health Benefits.
Toxins in our food and in our body
A ‘Summer Detox’ helps to eliminate toxins. It makes sense to reduce adding MORE chemicals by eating pesticide/chemical-free food.
Some non-organic foods are known to be high in pesticide content even the best foods for a summer detox!
Note: Toxins get stored in fat cells so when you eliminate toxins, fat cells get eliminated too.
EWG analyzed pesticide residue testing data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration to come up with rankings for these popular fresh produce items. Read The Dirty Dozen – 12 Foods You MUST Eat Organic
Have Fun With a Summer Detox
We review many of these foods and other important principles in our Free Summer Detox Training.
This free Summer Cleanse webinar will teach you much about what a detox can do. A detox is one of the most powerful and effective ways to revitalize the body, energize up and slim down. Also, you will learn more about the ‘Best Foods for a Summer Detox’.
We also have a more advanced course where we hold your hand while we take you through a whole month (2 days a week for 30 days) of detox.
You Can Start Any Time In June or July
The 2-5-30 Summer Detox Includes Special Menus Over One Month That are:
Balanced For the Summer Season
Sugar-Free, Alkaline and Food Combined
Best Foods for a Summer Detox
And Of Course Very Healthy
4 thoughts on “Best Foods for a Summer Detox”
Thank you Diana. I find your offerrimgs very helpful. I plan to stick with you.
Every food that is Healthy/Benefitial and Non-meatable are what i love and Want to have the Most of. Wish i could go Meat-free totally… i am just not ‘there’ so it is harder for some…
Thank all of you who loves and appriciate the Healthy food nature has in store for us !??????????
Great information, thank you!