Sweet juicy red raspberries are a powerfood so delightful to see and eat in the summer! Raspberries are so good for us with all the health benefits making them a Powerfood!
Health Benefits of Raspberries:
- Help keep your metabolic rate high with high levels of the trace mineral manganese.
- One of the top 10 antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables.
- Has twice the ORAC value (antioxidant) of oranges or apples and is higher than blueberries.
- Contain ellagic acid, a natural substance that is anti-carcinogenic (cancer-preventing).
- High in vitamin C. One cup provides over half your daily requirement
- Has more fiber than most fruits. One cup of raspberries provides over 8 grams of dietary fiber.
- The seeds are rich in vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids and have a natural SPF (sun protection factor) of 25 to 50.
- Naturally have no cholesterol and no sodium.
- One cup has only 64 calories with a low glycemic index.
- Raspberry leaf tea is commonly used during pregnancy to combat the nausea of morning sickness.
- The sugars in raspberries are natural and healthy.
Did You Know?
- Raspberries are a member of the rose family.
- They are not just red: there are also black, purple and gold raspberries.
- The average raspberry has 100 to 120 seeds.
- Unripe raspberries do not ripen after they are picked!
Raspberries are very easy to grow. I started with one raspberry bush 11 years ago and now have a big raspberry patch! I picked over 8 buckets full this summer. In fact, I have been having buckets full for at least 7 years.
Right now, I eat a large bowl of raspberries (after I pick them) every morning for breakfast. Mmmmm. I just love being able to do that.
What do I do with all those raspberries?
- Freeze lots of them so I have fruit all year.
- Make Raspberry ‘Vinaigrette’.
- Make jam.
- Give some to neighbours and friends.
- And of course, I eat lots of them while they are fresh and in season.
Recipes with Raspberries:
Apple Raspberry Jam is Simple to Make and Exceptionally Yummy – This is a very yummy apple raspberry jam and it is so easy to make. It is also healthy because it is not full of sugar and preservatives like many jams.
To get healthy recipes and tips sent to your mailbox once a week with more information about these foods subscribe to my newsletter. You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my 2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.