This vegan onion gravy is a wonderful delicious addition to any vegetarian meal. Sometimes our vegetables or veggie burger are extra tasty with a little gravy. I love that it is vegan too. It really is easy to make too.
Onion Benefits: Onions are so healthy we put them in the Superfood category. Learn All About Nutritious Onions and How Not to Get Teary
WHO recognizes that Onions help relieve symptoms such as coughs, congestion asthma, and respiratory infections. Onions are full of protective phytonutrients, vitamins, trace minerals, quercetin (an important flavonoid), chromium, and unique anti-inflammatory nutrients.
To get the most health benefits from Garlic, let it sit for a minimum of 5 minutes, after cutting and before eating or cooking. Waiting for 5 – 10 minutes allows the health-promoting allicin to form. If you do not let it sit, allicin is never formed, so it is worth the wait.
Arrowroot and kudzu are high-quality starches that will add amazing texture and taste to your mushroom gravy. I’m happy I discovered them in my macrobiotic (grain-based diet) days. I used to use cornstarch like most people — which is not a healthy ingredient. Find out more about Arrowroot for Gluten-Free and Vegan Recipes.
Kevala’s sesame oil is made with the finest organic sesame seeds. These are carefully selected and cold-pressed to obtain a premium oil.
Tamari is a premium form of Japanese soy sauce made with just fermented soybeans. Made with 100% whole soybeans and no wheat, Ohsawa Organic Tamari is an excellent choice for those who are wheat-sensitive.
Vegan Onion Gravy
- 2 medium onions (yellow onions work best)
- 1/4 cloves garlic
- 2-4 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp arrowroot
- 2-3 tsp Tamari
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Black pepper
- Peel and thinly slice onions into rounds.
- Put the sesame oil into a frying pan.
- Now, sauté the onions in the oil on medium-high heat until rich golden brown.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Add the garlic to the pan and sauté on medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Now, add the marjoram, thyme, and balsamic vinegar.
- Add 1 cup of water to the onion mixture, stir and simmer for a few minutes on low heat.
- Mix the arrowroot into 1/2 cup water.
- Stir the arrowroot mixture into the onion mixture continually.
- Turn heat up to medium and continue to stir while the mixture boils for a few minutes.
- It will become translucent with a creamy consistency of gravy.
- You can add more water to create the desired consistency you like.
- Add the tamari and Black pepper to taste.
- Now time to enjoy your vegan onion gravy.
I hope you enjoyed this vegan onion gravy!
Try This Other Nutritious Onion Recipe
Vegan Onion Soup for Dinner or Lunch – Who doesn’t love a yummy onion soup for lunch or dinner? I made this recipe with only very healthy superfood ingredients so it is very good for you. Also, it is a simple soup to make. A classic recipe that is vegan – and just as tasty as the original.
Delicious Vegan Gravy and Sauce Recipes
Magnificent Mushroom Gravy is Vegan and Tasty – If you like mushrooms, you will love this mushroom gravy recipe! It is very good for bean or nut burgers.
Tasty Tahini Cream Sauce – This is a very simple and quick tahini cream sauce to make. The taste will vary depending on whether you have it sweet for porridge or a dessert or savory for on your grain or vegetables.
Peanut Butter Sauce with Ginger – I love this peanut butter sauce, the ginger makes it extra delicious. This is one of those lifesaver recipes when you have a sudden, unexpectedly dinner guest. Steamed vegetables and rice is simple and fast but what do you jazz it up with?
Miso Sauce – This is a very simple and quick sauce to make. The taste will vary greatly depending on which type of miso is used. For a very light flavoured one use Shiro miso but really any miso will work.
Not-Cheese Sauce (Vegan) – the perfect replacement for cheese sauce!