This onion gravy is a wonderful delicious addition to any vegetarian meal. Sometimes our vegetables or veggie burger are extra tasty with a little gravy. I love that it is vegan too. It really is easy to make too.
Onion Gravy Recipe
2 medium onions (yellow ones are best), peeled and thinly sliced into rounds
1 – 4 cloves of garlic
2 – 4 tablespoons Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
4 tsp arrowroot
2 – 3 tsp Tamari
1 1/2 c water
- Peel and thinly slice onions into rounds.
- Put the sesame oil into a frying pan.
- Now, sauté onion in the oil on medium-high heat until rich golden brown.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Add garlic and sauté on medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Now, add marjoram, thyme and balsamic vinegar.
- Add 1 cup of water to the onion mixture, stir and simmer for a few minutes on low heat.
- Mix arrowroot into 1/2 cup water.
- Stir the arrowroot mixture into the onion mixture continually.
- Turn heat up to medium and continue to stir while the mixture boils for a few minutes. It will become translucent with a creamy consistency of gravy.
- You can add more water to create the desired consistency.
- Add tamari and pepper to taste.
Onion Benefits: Onions are so healthy we put them in the Superfood category. Learn All About Nutritious Onions and How Not to Get Teary
Try This Other Nutritious Onion Recipe
Vegan Onion Soup for Dinner or Lunch – Who doesn’t love a yummy onion soup for lunch or dinner? I made this recipe with only very healthy superfood ingredients so it is very good for you. Also, it is a simple soup to make. A classic recipe that is vegan – and just as tasty as the original.