If you like mushrooms, you will love this mushroom gravy recipe! It is very good on beans or nut burgers.
Mushrooms are more than a delicious addition to your meal, they are full of health benefits too. There are over 140 thousand types of mushroom-forming fungi and there are close to 100 types being studied for their health benefits. A small number have been found to be very beneficial for boosting your immune system. Whether it is a small button mushroom or a large brown one, it is a wonderful superfood to be added to make a meal extra tasty.
Arrowroot and kudzu are high-quality starches that will add amazing texture and taste to your mushroom gravy. I’m happy I discovered them in my macrobiotic (grain-based diet) days. I used to bake with cornstarch like most people — which is not a healthy ingredient. Find out more about Arrowroot for Gluten-Free and Vegan Recipes.
WHO recognizes that Onions help relieve symptoms such as coughs, congestion asthma, and respiratory infections. Onions are full of protective phytonutrients, vitamins, trace minerals, quercetin (an important flavonoid), chromium, and unique anti-inflammatory nutrients.
To get the most health benefits from Garlic, let it sit for a minimum of 5 minutes, after cutting and before eating or cooking. Waiting for 5 – 10 minutes allows the health-promoting allicin to form. If you do not let it sit, allicin is never formed, so it is worth the wait.
Tamari is a premium form of Japanese soy sauce made with just fermented soybeans. Made with 100% whole soybeans and no wheat, Ohsawa Organic Tamari is an excellent choice for those who are wheat-sensitive.
Vege salt – One of my all-time favourite condiments is Spike Seasoning which is a tasty seasoning always in my kitchen. It is a special blend of 38 herbs, vegetables, and exotic spices, combined with some salt. It is gluten-free but not soy-free.
Almond oil has a high smoke point making it great for stir-frying and sautéing. It is good for High Heat Up To 460F. What I like about it is that it has a light, clean flavor that does not alter the taste of the foods I am using it to cook with.
Time to make my mushroom gravy!
Magnificent Mushroom Gravy
- 3 cups cremini (brown) mushrooms or white
- 1 1/2 cups onions
- 1-4 cloves garlic
- 2-4 Tbsp almond oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 4 tsp arrowroot plus 1/2 cup water to mix together
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tsp tamari or 1-2 tsp spike seasoning
- black pepper to taste
- Rinse and slice the mushrooms.
- Finely chop the onions and the garlic.
- Sauté the onion in 2 tablespoons of oil or ghee on medium-high heat until rich golden brown
- Add the garlic to the pan and sauté on medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
- Now add the mushrooms and sauté till they are golden brown.
- Add the marjoram and thyme on low-medium heat.
- Add 1 cup of water to the mushroom mixture and stir.
- Add the arrowroot to 1/2 a cup of water and mix together until smooth.
- Now add the arrowroot mixture to the pan stirring continually till smooth.
- Then add more water until it is thick and has the creamy consistency of gravy.
- Add tamari or Spike and black pepper to taste.
The Mushroom Advantage Infographic – So many wonderful benefits from eating tasty superfood mushrooms. Here is a wonderful infographic and for more good information read Time to enjoy Tasty Mushrooms with Amazing Health Benefits.
I hope you enjoyed my mushroom gravy!
Here are more recipes to try:
Onion Gravy – This onion gravy is a wonderful delicious addition to any vegetarian meal. Sometimes our vegetables or veggie burger are extra tasty with a little gravy. I love that it is vegan too. It really is easy to make too.
Shitaki Mushroom Salad with Walnuts -This shiitake mushroom salad is extra delicious with the addition of walnuts. Yum! All the ingredients in this salad are healthy and so it is very good for you. A salad a day is always a good idea as it is a great way to get more vegetables into our diet.
Delicious Wild Rice Risotto with Corn and Mushrooms – This is a delicious wild rice risotto which is very simple to make. The addition of mushrooms and corn makes it extra yummy.