by Elizabeth Peregrine
The health benefits of sesame oil has been recognized for centuries. It’s 17 benefits include both internal and external uses.
Sesame oil is an integral part of Ayurveda and maybe the oldest condiment to man dating back to as early as 1,600 BC and was one of the first oils made. It is an excellent cooking oil because it is exceptionally resistant to rancidity and won’t easily oxidize at high temperatures.
Research shows Sesame oil is a rich source of polyunsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats, antioxidants, and several soluble vitamins and minerals which help maintain a healthy body in balance.
Regular use of Sesame oil, both internally and externally:
- Reduces anxiety
- Aids in the prevention of disorders of the nerves and bones
- Boosts the immune system
- Prevents constipation
- Reduction in chronic pain
- Slowing of the aging process
Externally it is one of the main oils used in Ayurvedic treatments, including Abhyanga (deep tissue massage), Shirodhara (the pouring of continuous stream of warm Sesame oil onto the forehead), enemas (basti), nasal drops (nasya), eye drops and mouth wash.
The skin is an organ of digestion. Our skin absorbs whatever we apply to it. When we use sesame oil externally and internally we are aiding our body in returning to balance and whole health. The daily application of Sesame oil and self-massage is essential for a healthy lifestyle regimen.
Some of the known benefits of Sesame oil massage may include:
- Improved circulation of blood and lymph tissues
- Relieves pain and swelling
- Relieves dry skin
- Enhances circulation, allowing for proper elimination of toxins
- Supports and fortifies the immune system
- Helps relaxation and insomnia
- Improves physical stamina and virility
Mentally, Abhyanga with warm Sesame oil:
- Banish fatigue caused by stress
- Moves the life force in the physical body and prevents stagnation
- Strengthens the electromagnetic field of the body
- Balances all three subtle energies – Vata, Pitta, Kapha
Having practiced and experienced this, I can say without a doubt, it has improved my life, but more importantly, my health.
About the author Elizabeth Peregrine from Lollipop Royalty.
“I’m a mother to 2 girls, toddler and 9 months old. We are a vegetarian family and my blog focuses on my love to craft, DIY, art journal, cooking, Yoga (CYT), Ayurveda (Ayurveda Wellness Counselor), and Reiki (Master Level) and use these tools to heal my life.”