This Mesa Man was very healthy because of the five foods he ate every day. Bernardo LaPallo at 110, truly looks and acts like he is 80 or even younger.
Do you ever wonder why some people have a very long life? Check this out!
This man has never been sick a day in his life! He is a big fan of organic fruits and vegetables. Bernardo regularly consumes these 5 foods which his father who was a doctor told him to eat. His father lived a long life as well, to 98 years old.
“You are what you eat!” says Bernardo
Daily he solves crossword puzzles and read books to keep his mind sharp.
“I feel great. The key to my success has been obedience and moderation. I have been doing everything my daddy told me to do all these years.” he said after his 113 birthday.
Bernando LaPallo, the Mesa Man lived until he was 114 years and died in the city of Tempe, Arizona on December 19, 2015.
“He died quickly and without any chronic illness. His heart simply stopped beating. He followed the same daily routine the day he died as he did every single day of his life. It was simply his time to go. He was at peace with himself and his life.” said his oldest granddaughter, Erika Chamberlin.
Beyond 100: How To Live Well Into Your Second Century Paperback by Bernando LaPallo
In his book, he explains how he fixes his water to drink and more about what his father taught him! He ate blueberries every day and lots of cabbage.
He lived a healthy lifestyle and didn’t smoke, drink coffee, alcohol, or soda. He didn’t take things like aspirin.
Also, note that this Mesa man was not on a ketogenic diet, a paleo diet, Weston Price, Atkins, GAPS, raw vegan, or even low carb diet.
We believe these foods are so good that we have written about them and have lots of recipes with them. Click on any of the foods for more information.
The 5 Foods that the Mesa Man, Bernardo LaPallo Ate Every Day
- Reduces Cholesterol: There many studies that confirm that garlic in several forms can reduce cholesterol. – The Journal of the Royal College of Physicians
- Is a Healthy Aphrodisiac! Tibetan monks were forbidden from entering the monasteries if they had eaten garlic.
- An Anti-oxidant: Researchers have widely believed that the organic compound, allicin acts as the world’s most powerful antioxidant. – Research Sheds Light on Health Benefits of Garlic
- Antibiotic: The allicin in garlic is also a powerful antibiotic, which fights infection and bacteria. – Antimicrobial properties of allicin from garlic.
Here are a few recipes with lots of garlic in them:
Ultimate Garlic Recipe: Simple Garlic Zucchini – This is a very simple recipe and yummy if you like garlic. The first time I saw it being prepared was by my friend David on Yaku Yama mountain in the 70’s in my hippy days. I watched with amazement while he added clove after clove of garlic. I am sure he put in more than I have listed below! As health nuts in those days we ate lots of it for all of it’s health benefits.
Tempeh Sauteed with Spices and Garlic For a Special Vegan Dinner – This tempeh sautéed with lots of garlic and spices is a super easy dish to add to any vegan dinner. Tempeh is firmer and tastier than tofu with its nutty taste and texture and it is much healthier too making your meal full of easy to digest protein and vitamin B12.
Leeks and Carrots with Ginger and Garlic is So Delicious – Leeks and carrots are for sure favourite vegetables in my kitchen. Pairing them with yummy ginger and garlic makes a very refreshing delicious addition to a dinner meal. Also, all these ingredients are very nutritious for you too. In fact, almost all of the ingredients are superfoods.
- Prevents cancer and heart disease: Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
- Reduce ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders.
- Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-fungal: “All honey is antibacterial because the bees add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide,” said Peter Molan, director of the Honey Research Unit at the University of Waikato in New Zealand.
- Increase athletic performance. Ancient Olympic athletes would eat honey and dried figs to enhance their performance. Also, it reduces cough and throat irritation.
Orange Syrup: This syrup is a much healthier syrup then the usual syrups on your pancakes or waffles. It has less honey in it because of the orange juice which makes it delicious. The zing of the orange make is very tasty. Dandelion Flower Syrup: This syrup is a great treat from your weeds and it is so easy to make. See why I am mad about dandelions – and their amazing health benefits. Honey Syrup: the goodness and taste of both honey and molasses.
Cinnamon has been used for nausea, hyperacidity, to promote good digestion, IBS, diarrhea, flues and colds, body lice, improved sugar metabolism, colic, as an antimicrobial (esp. the essential oil), and to stimulate good circulation.
A couple of cinnamon recipes:
Creamy Spicy Vegan Chai with lots of cinnamon. I love being able to drink creamy drinks that have no cows milk in them. This is a great tea on those cold winter days.
Healthy Apple Cake with Cinnamon – Gluten-Free – This is a very tasty sugar-free cake. It took me five times to get this recipe just right! All my happy taste testers liked it right away but I knew it could be even better and the recipe is better to. This is a deeply satisfying cake filled with healthy ingredients.
There is a big difference between cocoa and chocolate.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- May improve your ability to see in low-contrast situations, such as poor weather according to study, from England’s University of Reading in 2011.
- The fiber in chocolate has been shown to reduce the rate of colorectal cancer.
- Cocoa has anti-clotting, blood-thinning properties. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
Chocolate has been shown to repair liver cells after alcohol consumption.
Healthy chocolate recipes for you:
Cherry Pecan Dark Chocolate Bar– Here is a tasty decadent recipe full of healthy ingredients using dark chocolate, because it was used in all of the studies.
Yummy Chocolate Cherry Vegan Ice Cream – This vegan ice cream is delicious! Who doesn’t like chocolate cherry ice cream? This is simple to make vegan ice cream which is so yummy made with some of my favourite ingredients. And not filled with unhealthy sugar!
Walnut Dark Chocolate Bar – No Sugar – This recipe produces one of the healthiest chocolate treats you will find. It also tastes better than the commercial stuff you end up buying! This is one of the few chocolates that I make without any of the other healthy sugars and it is not for everyone. Only those who like very dark chocolate will appreciate the flavour.
- Helps lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol.
- Reduces colon, breast and skin cancers.
- Lowers the incidence of gallstones.
- Helps control blood sugar levels.
- Polyphenols in olive oil act as anti-inflammatory properties.
Note: make sure you are consuming real olive oil.
Have you heard of the olive oil fraud? Find out Which Olive Oil to Buy.
Two of my favourite olive oil salad dressings:
Olive Oil Lemon Juice Salad Dressing – a healthy salad dressing without all that sugar, and unhealthy fats.
Light Lemon Oil Salad Dressing: This is a very good salad dressing for those wanting to keep slim. Includes a base recipe with optional herbal ingredients.
“If you keep your mind busy and keep your body busy, you’re going to be around a long time.” he said on his 112 birthday he sharing one of his secrets to a having a long life.
May you enjoy a healthy long life as the Mesa Man, Bernardo LaPallo did.
There Are Many More Superfoods