Do aphrodisiacs really work? Can you change your mood with food chemistry?
Here are famous foods and activities known for love, the science behind them, and tasty recipes to share with your sweetie.
Healthy Boosters for Love and Romance
1. Honey: The Honeymoon Sweet
- Honey is a great source of boron, the mineral that helps the body metabolize estrogen, the female sex hormone.
- Studies show that boron may also increase testosterone, the hormone responsible for promoting sex drive in both men and women.
- Medieval hopefuls drank mead, a fermented honey drink, to promote sexual desire.
- Ancient Persian couples drank mead every day for a month (known as the “honey month” — a.k.a. “honeymoon”) after they married to prepare for a successful family life.
Start the morning with pancakes or waffles with Honey Syrup. It goes with almost anything!
2. Chocolate- The Classic Valentine’s Day Gift
“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.”
Charles M. Schulz
- Chocolate contains phenylethylamine, which mimics the brain chemistry of a person in love. It also promotes serotonin production. Together they give you a hormone rush that feels like the rush of love or love making.
- There are other foods that may contain more of these ingredients (like cheese) but who cares? Chocolate tastes so good!
- The problem with chocolate is that is usually comes with so much sugar that you will probably crash into depression from the sugar rather than living happy ever after.
- If you REALLY love chocolate and want to enjoy it check out The Healthy Chocolate Project!
Make Home Made Walnut Dark Chocolate that is so healthy and not energy depleting because it is sugar free, no unhealthy oils or preservatives!
- Through history, almonds were regarded as fertility symbols.
- The aroma of almond supposedly arouses passion in females — or so thought the poets and scribes.
- Almonds provide high doses of vitamin E, magnesium and even fiber.
Share some Almond Milk that you made with love.
- Garlic is full of allicin, another ingredient that will also increase blood flow. (see beets)
- In eastern traditions monks and priests are not allowed to eat garlic (or onions) because they are particularly stimulating.
- Garlic has a host of other health benefits, particularly helping with the immune system. You can listen to a garlic lover and a garlic hater discuss its merits.
- The obvious trouble with this food is that unless your partner is also a garlic eater, they might not life your smell!
For dinner have Zucchini With Lots of Garlic The zuchini for some is just an excuse for the garlic but any way it’s a heavenly combination.
Who would have guessed? The Roman’s did… thousands of years ago.
- One of the first known uses of beets was by the ancient Romans, who used them medicinally as an aphrodisiac.
- Beets contain high levels of nitrates which increase blood flow by expanding blood vessels walls. Increased blood flow to the genital areas is one of the mechanisms Viagra and other pharmaceuticals create their effects. You can see a quick video demonstration of this by Dr. Oz.
- Beets also contain high amounts of boron, which is directly related to the production of human sex hormones.
- Beets have a host of other health benefits.
For lunch serve Borstch With A Difference. This soup has so many foods in it that your company will know you made it with tender loving care! Step by step photos.
- Exercise doesn’t sound romantic unless it is ‘moonlit walks on the beach’ but it turns out exercise is so good for the body, that is also improves this area as well.
- During vigorous activity, endorphins – the “feel good” chemicals- are released. They can feel like a rush of love.
- Exercise increases blood flow to the whole body and thus like beets and garlic, can increase moods and desire.
- Exercise and building muscle mass also usually increases testosterone levels.
Go for a walk together…anywhere. What better way to deepen your love then while connecting with nature.
- In ancient China, people used licorice to enhance love and lust.
- The smell appears to be particularly stimulating.
- Alan R. Hirsch, MD, neurological director of the Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago, conducted a study that looked at how different smells stimulated sexual arousal. He found that the smell of black licorice increased the blood flow to the genital area by 13 percent.
- Asian ginseng is an adaptogen, or a substance that helps keep proper hormone balance in your body.
- Ginseng, helps moderate the harmful effects of stress, enhances your energy and stamina and may improve your sexual function.
- Caution: Because ginseng has an estrogen-like effect, pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take it. Although ginseng is not a kitchen food in the west, it is so well known and universally used that I have included it.
9. Sweet Basil
- Sweet basil herb is known across cultures to naturally increase sex drive and fertility by fostering a feeling of total relaxation in the body and muscles while increasing circulation.
- In Italy, it is a symbol of love.
- The scent of basil was said to drive men wild — so much so that women would dust their breasts with dried and powdered basil.
For dinner you can also make White Bean and Asparagus Stew. Besides basil, this has another traditional aphrodisiac – asparagus. Asparagus, like bananas, probably just gets it’s reputation from its shape.
Is it all in your head?
Each of these foods and activities can affect your chemistry but the effects are often subtle.
If we are cued for love though, even a boost of energy from carbs could be perceived as an emotion or an attractive force. The body then enhances that effect since it can manufacture any number of its own mood enhancing brain and body hormones.
“Money is a powerful aphrodisiac. But flowers work almost as well.” Lazarus Long
This is why western science officially states that there are no effective aphrodisiacs. They are looking for something as powerful and immediate as steroids or Viagra.
But why would we want to use those strong drugs when we could simply have fun with eating real food that will enhance our health? An attractive happy body and mind comes from a healthy body and mind.
We Use All These So Called Aphrodisiacs in Our 2-5-30 Classes.
When teaching people how to plan and cook super healthy meals for balance and detoxing, we often use MANY of the above foods, since they are GOOD for you period.
The participants don’t talk about being ‘in love’ but rather they are more in touch with their eating, and how they can lose weight and deal with health challenges.