Learn the best way to prepare and eat tomatoes to get all the health benefits they are full of. Tomatoes reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer, help us burn fat, and help our skin and hair to glow beautifully. Also, included are healthy, delicious recipes.
Learn more about Tomatoes and Their Health Benefits
Learn the Best Way to Prepare and Eat Tomatoes
You can learn how to buy, prepare and cook them properly. Let’s take advantage of them when they are in season and get them into our diet today!
We want to get the most nutrition from the tomatoes so when we eat them let’s make sure they are the best tomatoes.
Organic tomatoes contain higher levels of antioxidants than conventional tomatoes according to a 2012 study.
Which ones do we buy?
Red, orange or yellow tomatoes? The lycopene in yellow and orange tomatoes is absorbed more fully than the lycopene from red tomatoes. Buy more of the orange and yellow and have some of the red tomatoes too. It will make a beautiful salad.
Epic Tomatoes: How to Select and Grow the Best Varieties of All Time
“Savor your best tomato harvest ever! Craig LeHoullier provides everything a tomato enthusiast needs to know about growing more than 200 varieties of tomatoes, from planting to cultivating and collecting seeds at the end of the season. He also offers a comprehensive guide to various pests and tomato diseases, explaining how best to avoid them. With beautiful photographs and intriguing tomato profiles throughout, Epic Tomatoes celebrates one of the most versatile and delicious crops in your garden.”
Best Way to Prepare and Eat Tomatoes
Why it is best not to peel tomatoes
Tomato peels help the carotenoids in tomatoes get absorbed by the intestines according to a study. Also, tomato skin contains most of the flavonols. To get the most health benefits from tomatoes, do not peel them.
How to prepare
- Always wash tomatoes under cool running water and pat dry.
- Avoid recipes that ask for the seeds to be removed as there are so many nutrients in the seeds that you don’t want to lose.
- Contrary to what we may think about cooking and nutrients, cooked tomatoes are better for you. The valuable nutrient lycopene is best absorbed when the tomatoes are cooked. That said, the enzymes and Vitamin C will be destroyed, so it is good to eat some raw ones too.
- Do not use aluminum cookware; the tomatoes have a high acid content and will interact with the metal in the cookware. We do not want to be eating aluminum for health reasons and it will give them an unpleasant taste as well.
This is my favourite saucepan that I have been cooking with for years. Luminarc Vitro Blooming Heat-resistant Glass Cooking Saucepan 1.5 L / 1.58 QT
• Made of a non-porous glass-ceramic material with extremely fine pores which will not absorb food odors or flavors or react with acid-based foods.
• Safe by its material. It is odor-free, stain-free, nickel-free, and does not have any coating that flakes away, thus 100% food safe and hygienic.
• Strength 450 degrees / Cook – Freezer – Reheat – all in the same pot. From freezer to hob, from oven to table.
- It is best to use the whole tomato. There is higher lycopene content in whole tomato products. The skins of tomatoes will make the lycopene and beta-carotene content higher.
OK, let’s prepare some tasty tomato recipes!
Best Way to Prepare and Eat Tomatoes with These Recipes (Gluten-free & Vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes
- 2 medium cooking apples
- 1 small onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp light liquid stevia
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Chop the tomatoes and the apples.
- Finley chop the onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a pot.
- Boil gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the chutney into jars and let it cool completely.
- It is best to serve this tomato chutney cold as a condiment with a delicious curry.
Tomato Salad Dressing
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tomato
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives or 1/2 tsp dried
- 2-4 drops liquid stevia to taste
- Himalayan salt to taste
Cold Tomato Soup
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cucumber
- Handful almonds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic optional
- vege salt or spike seasoning to taste
- Soak the almonds for 8 hours and then drain them.
- Cube the tomato.
- Peel and cube the cucumber.
- In a blender or food processor blend all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Add the veggie salt or Spike Seasoning to taste.
- Now enjoy your cool tomato soup.
More Useful Best Way to Prepare and Eat Tomatoes Tips
Freezing Stewed Tomatoes with Skins Is Healthy – Try This Simple Recipe – You can try freezing stewed tomatoes and freeze raw tomatoes too with their skins on. The sweet taste of tomatoes is a great addition to many meals. Here is a simple and easy way to have them available for your meals all year long.
Freezing Raw Whole Tomatoes with Their Skins With This Recipe Is Easy – Freezing whole raw tomatoes is a wonderful way to have the sweet taste of tomatoes all year long. This recipe is a very simple way to do it too. This is much easier and healthier than making canned tomatoes.
More Delicious Tomato Recipes
Avocado Tomato Salad Dressing – This Avocado Tomato Salad Dressing is an easy way to jazz up any salad! This is a base recipe that you can alter with your choice of herbs or salty flavors. This is enough for three large salads. A healthy homemade salad dressing is always the way to go. Those store-bought ones are very often filled with unhealthy ingredients.
Tomato Salad Dressing – This delicious tomato salad dressing is a very light dressing vegan recipe and is excellent for those wanting a low-fat dressing. Also, it is full of superfoods (olive oil, tomato, and stevia). It is always good to make your own salad dressing so you can use a nutritious oil, not too much salt, and no sugar. I have been making my own salad dressing for decades.
Asparagus Tomato Salad – This luxurious asparagus tomato salad was enjoyed so much the first time I created the recipe so I never stopped serving it. I used parsley because that is what I had but chopped basil or mint would be good too.
Bloody Mary Alcohol-free Recipe Is Healthy and Delicious -Have you ever had an alcohol-free Bloody Mary? Whenever we think of a Bloody Mary drink it is full of alcohol. Many of us (me included) do not drink alcohol so we never drink one. So I created this alcohol-free Bloody Mary that is healthier too. So often what we find at parties are pops and very unhealthy drinks full of alcohol. In our testing, we always find that alcohol lowers the vitality of everyone which includes me.
Vital Health Assessment will help you discover what is going on in your body and then determines the perfect foods, diet, and supplements to achieve your health goals.
- Overcome Your Health Challenges
- Lose Weight
- Energize Your Body
I have found it very helpful as I learned much to help me in many ways. Try getting your own personalized 3 months nutritional and lifestyle program.