Gluten free, dairy & egg free
Pears grow in Edmonton! They are small but they are tasty and juicy. A friend lets me pick bags full of pears from his big tree. Thus, I get to make this very yummy gluten free cake made with healthy ingredients.
Pear Upside Down Cake
Mix together the next 4 ingredients for a gluten free flour mix:
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1/4 cup white rice flour
For bottom of cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350º F.
2. Oil 8” X 8”cake pan.
3. Slice 2 cups of pears.
4. Arrange pears into bottom of cake pan.
5. Sprinkle pears with arrowroot.
6. Sprinkle ginger over the pears.
7. Mix oil, rice syrup, and molasses.
8. Add 1 cup of gluten free flour, mix in well.
9. Add 1/3 cup water, mix in well.
10. Add 1 cup of gluten free flour, mix in well.
11. Add 1/3 cup water, mix in well.
12. Add 1/4 cup of gluten free flour.
13. Mix in well and quickly.
14. Immediately pour batter into cake pan on top of the pear mixture.
15. Spread the batter evenly over the pears.
16. Bake at 350º F. oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
17. Leave cake in pan for 5 minutes on a cooling rack; it is too light and fragile to turn over. Once it cools a bit it will become firmer and easier to turn over.
18. Gently turn cake over onto a cooling rack. (loosen the edges of the cake with a knife first.) It is important to get it out of the pan as the pears on the bottom will make a soggy cake if you do not.
Another very good pear recipe: