This gingerbread cake is gluten-free, vegan and simply delicious! The heat of the ginger balances off the sweeter elements so it doesn’t feel heavy. This was only recently perfected with some experimentation.
I must give special thanks to Randy for helping me ‘test’ the final cake creation. He readily agreed….well actually begged to be part of the ‘testing process,’ and even bravely suggested we try seconds and thirds ‘just to be sure.’ He then creatively suggested that it would be ‘wise’ to repeat the whole process the next day on a slightly older cake. 🙂
Gingerbread Cake Recipe
3/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil
1/2 cup rice syrup
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup water
1/4 – 1/3 cup fresh ginger, grated (note this is lots of ginger, you can just put 1 or 2 Tbsp)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato flour
1/2 cup flax meal *
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. stevia
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Combine vegetable oil, rice syrup, molasses, flax meal and ginger in a bowl.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl.
3. Stir half of the flour mixture into the wet mixture.
4. Mix well.
5. Add water.
6. When mixed well, stir in the remaining dry ingredients.
7. Pour into an oiled, floured 8-inch square pan.
8. Bake at 400º F. for 35 to 45 minutes.
9. Serve with Sugar-free Apple sauce.
* This is for an egg-free vegan recipe, learn more about Eggs Substitutes.
More Gluten-free Vegan Cake Recipes
Want to Learn How to Bake Gluten-Free in a Healthy Way?
Check out Diana’s Healthy Gluten-Free Baking BootCamp. You get a complete shopping list and video instruction on how to do all your holiday baking in just two days. Remember not all gluten-free baking is healthy!