Cornmeal porridge is my favourite porridge. Some call it grits, others polenta or mush or I call it cornmeal porridge. Here is the basic version which can be dressed up however you please.
Cornmeal Porridge Recipe
1. Place cornmeal, water and salt in a small, heavy saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat right down and cook gently for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring very frequently with a long-handled spoon or wire whisk to prevent lumps forming.
3. Be careful as it can be spitting back at you and it is very hot!
4. Add more hot water from the kettle if the mixture becomes thick and dry. The best consistency is the one you prefer. That said when first making it look for a texture that is soft and thick.
5. Allow the porridge to cool a little before eating; it holds the heat very well.
Now that you have the basic cornmeal porridge, there are so many variations of it.
• A very simple thing to do is at the beginning of cooking; add a handful of sultanas/raisins or any dried fruit.
• For a filling, porridge add nuts or seeds or coconut – or all of them for a real fun luxurious porridge.
• You can even add spices like cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom which is very yummy.
• Serve with ghee or coconut oil (which is my favourite) or flax oil (which is a healthy way of getting those omega oils).
• Another favourite of mine is to serve it with Tahini Cream Sauce
I often eat my cornmeal porridge with vegetables and tahini sauce for lunch.
More Cornmeal Recipes
Date Walnut Cornmeal Muffins -Gluten free-Vegan – These simple, yummy muffins are full of healthy ingredients. They are also gluten free. You will be amazed how sweet they are since there is no added sugar!
Gluten Free and Vegan Cornmeal Pancakes – This recipe is my version of pancakes without the milk or eggs.
Join me on a 2 – 5 – 30 Course
Improve Your Eating Habits Effortlessly,
Simplify Your Meal Planning,
Lose Weight and Overcome Health Challenges
All the tasty recipes at Real Food For Life are vegetarian, gluten-free and white sugar-free. I invite you to check more of them out by browsing the Recipes.