These gluten-free vegan cornmeal pancakes are still delicious without the milk or eggs. Good news is that if you are honoring Lent you can still eat them.
Whenever I make these pancakes no one seems to notice the lack of those two ingredients even those who are not following a dairy-free diet or not needing to be gluten-free or vegan.
Gluten-Free Vegan Cornmeal Pancakes Recipe
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 2 tbsp flax meal *
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- Plus almond oil for frying pancakes in
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients.
3. Pour water and oil into the center.
4. Mix together with a large wooden spoon.
5. Mix only until moistened – taking care, not to over-mix (small lumps are normal).
6. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the batter into a hot oiled frying pan.
7. Fry on medium heat.
8. Turn when bubbles form on top and brown the other side.
9. Serve them on a plate with a healthy and tasty syrup. Try the Orange Syrup on your Cornmeal Pancakes.
* This is for an egg-free vegan recipe, learn more about Eggs Substitutes.
Also: Honey Syrup
More Cornmeal Gluten-Free Recipes
Cornmeal Porridge – This is my favourite porridge. Some call it grits, others polenta or mush. Here is the basic version which can be dressed up however you please.
Date Walnut Cornmeal Muffins -Gluten free-Vegan – These simple, yummy muffins are full of healthy ingredients. They are also gluten-free. You will be amazed how sweet they are since there is no added sugar!
Indian Pudding Is Traditional, Vegan and So Yummy – This traditional Indian pudding is an old favourite of mine that I make vegan. Indian pudding is not the most beautiful of desserts but it is for sure tasty. Some people like to call it Native Indian but it seems like Indian pudding is the name for it still all over the internet.
Note: If you are considering going gluten-free
- Learn how to make sinfully delicious gluten-free treats and desserts that are still healthy for you. Health GF Baking Training
- Read 11 Gluten-Free Grains to learn some of the alternatives and their many benefits.
- Check out: Diana’s Gluten Free Recipes Make sure you are subscribed to the newsletters for the latest recipes.