Junk food is destroying both our bodies and the environment. Here are the facts and solutions.
Animals in the wild don’t have to stop to think about what would be good to eat. A sparrow knows exactly what to eat.
Animals eat real food without adding waste to the environment and it is best if we did too.
We are Junk Food Consumers! We are addicted to junk food:
- Americans spend almost 46 percent of their food budget on restaurants and take-out.
- More than 2 million California adolescents (62 percent) drink soda and 1.4 million (43 percent) eat fast food, every single day according to the policy brief, “Teen Dietary Habits Related to Those of Parents.”
- Whichever city road you drive down; you will see more fast-food restaurants than any other business.
- Junk food is placed at eye-level right next to the check out of any store.
- Vending machines filled with junk food are everywhere.
- Junk food is high in sugar, dumb carbs, and chemicals. It supplies few nutrients. That is why it is called junk.
Junk food has finally made it to even India. Junk food in India
Junk Food is Destroying our Health
We already know junk food is unhealthy. Read these statistics: The Deadly Consequences of Our Eating Habits.
We even PROMOTE our unhealthy food as in the name of this restaurant… The Heart Attack Grill. Read about this in Would You Eat This Meal? The Heart Attack Grill Kills
Even politicians recognize the costs of junk food: Did Coke Make America Fat?
What does the food we eat, in particular, fast food do to our environment?
- Fast Food Waste Threatens our Marine Environment: Styrofoam, foamed plastic, a staple of fast foods, becomes a permanent part of our environment when littered. Eventually, it reaches the ocean through the drains; the plastics from this urban pollution is the largest source of marine debris.
- One average cheeseburger, which weighs 120 grams, requires the energy of 1000 to 3500 grams of Co2 to produce it.
- The packaging is a very good business if you want to make lots of money and do not care about the environment! All fast food comes in little cardboard boxes or styrofoam or plastic packaging thus we are left mountains of this unsightly garbage.
- Almost 3.2 million tones of packaging are added yearly to US waste.
- Some candies are as harmful to the environment as pork meat says a Swedish study.
- 2.2 kilos of greenhouse gas is produced during the production of one kilogram of chips.
- The volatile organic compounds (VOC) created when four hamburgers are produced are equivalent to the same VOC’s emitted by a current model car driven for 1000 miles.
- Fast food waste includes leftovers of meals and trimmings from food preparation.
8,200 pounds of food waste per month (more than 98,000 pounds a year) is what the average restaurant produces. About 15 percent of that waste is in the form of reusable materials. Restaurants can do more: Cutting Down on Fast Food Waste
- Pacific Gyre aka Great Pacific Garbage Patch contains about 3.5 million tons of trash. Clean Water Action found that 49 percent of litter is from fast food; the five biggest sources were McDonald’s, Burger King, Seven Eleven, Starbucks and Wendy’s. Watch this video: The Garbage Patch
Eat REAL FOOD
Real Food is food in its most natural state; it is unprocessed or with very little processing. Real food does not need a label or fancy packaging. An apple is an apple. Basically, Real Food is a whole food that is life-sustaining and requires no polluting packaging.
What does it mean to for a food to be life-sustaining? How long do you want to live?
Our bodies were designed to digest Real Food, not highly processed stuff in packages polluting this earth. I will NOT call this food……as it is not!
How to Recognize Real Food:
- Does not need a label listing all the ingredients.
- Celebrities don’t endorse it.
- Tastes good and makes us feel good.
- Usually rots or spoils quickly.
- Provides us with fuel.
- Has been grown on this earth.
- Does not arrive through the window of your car.
Another reason why many people do not eat real food is the cost. Have you noticed that fruits and vegetables cost more than junk food? Some people use this fact to justify eating food that is not real.
Daphne Oz (daughter of Dr. Oz) looked over her receipts and noticed a trend: “The more heavily processed and artificial the food, the less expensive it was. How is it that something that you eat exactly the way it looks when it comes out of the ground or off a tree can cost more than something that went through a day and a half of mechanical digestion by heavy machinery?”
If real foods like fruits, vegetables, beans and oats seem tasteless now, you are probably eating stuff with too many additives, like sugar or salt. Processed or refined foods (candy, breakfast cereal, cakes, cookies, ice cream, canned soup, etc.) contain additives, sugar or salt and can create unnatural cravings. The best thing is to simply not to eat them.
It is simple: Our body is real therefore we should feed it real food not food that has been highly processed or created artificially. Our body was designed to eat real food that is whole and natural.
I love food! I am sure you do too. Strolling through the produce department seeing mountains of reds, greens, oranges and yellows is a wonderful experience.
Going to the farmers market is even more fun! This is Real Food grown by real people. They tell me that the cucumbers, lettuce and raspberries were picked early that morning. You can still smell the earth that these foods come from.
Paying at the grocery store is not as much fun: waiting among lines of moms, teenagers, and businessmen with their carts piled high with packages and cans. Is this food? Mostly it is dead food filled with chemicals, not Real Food. It is sad.
Learn about Unhealthy Foods To Eliminate If You Want to Be Healthy – and also find out about the Grocery Store Blacklist: 12 Food Companies to Avoid & 95 Sneaky Aliases
REAL Food Recipes: Healthy sweet easy peasy recipes without chemicals and sugar:
Raw Apricot Coconut Balls: It doesn’t get any easier or tastier!
Banana Pudding: My favorite.
How much Real Food are you eating?
Want to learn how to eat less junk food and MORE real healthy food? The easiest way is the try out one of our 2-5-30 Healthy Diets. That will balance your body, and give you practice at cooking extremely healthy meals.