At the beginning of the 20th century the US ranked 1st in health among the major industrial nations. US spending per capita on health is currently the highest in the world yet the US now ranks 37th in actual health statistics in the top industrial countries and has the highest infant mortality rate. The US also rates 24th in life expectancy.” http://www.foodkills.org
What is Happening to Us?
- Cancer rates are up in America 225% since 1960.
- 70 – 80% of the US population is overweight and 80 million are classified as obese. Obesity leads to stress on the heart. 1 out of 3 US children is now considered overweight or obese.
- Everyday 1,000 Americans are operated on for gallstones. In Africa, only 2 cases have been reported in the last 25 years.
- Approximately 70% of American men over the age 60 have prostate problems.
- 30 million Americans have hypertension and are medicated with drugs costing billions. 30 years ago hypertension was hardly known.
We all know that eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables are good for us.
We also know that junk food – all that stuff in packages near the checkout counters, like in supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, video shops, drug stores – almost every where, is tempting us to eat junk food that is not good for us.
- is devoid of nutrition
- is filled with sugar
- contains too much salt
- is filled with added chemicals that are proven to be detrimental to our health.
Junk food is so accessible; whenever we are hungry, there the junk food is ready to eat in minutes.
We are so busy in this 21st century that it is easy to just grab one of those packages from the shelf. If we do this on a regular basis even once a week it depletes our body of its stable energy. Eating food with no nutrition leaves us starving for nutrients to build, repair, and energize. When the body thinks it is starving it will have us grab almost anything to eat and that often is what is easiest is junk food.
Let’s look at what food we stock our kitchen cupboards and fridge with.
Most busy people are in the habit of buying packages, cans and jars of processed food. It is almost devoid of naturally occurring nutrients and there are big additions of sugar, salt, preservatives and artificial flavorings. That last one really gets me. ‘Flavorings’ are needed due to the food being boiled and baked to death, or it just does not have any food in it.
Eat Real Food!
Think about it: Would you need to add flavoring to a fresh apple or banana?
If eating real food is of no importance for you; then think about for your children or grandchildren.
Fast food is really moving into schools, which is horrible, because eating habits are formed when you’re young, so if you get fat then, you’ve started a lifelong battle.” says Eric Schlosser, a journalist
Read more about how the way we are eating is effecting our environment:Eat Real Food NOT Junk Food The Great Pacific Garbage Patch and Did Coke Make America Fat?
Acknowledgments: Joke by Perry Block Comic by Malachi Chapman
Our view on this problem is quite simple. What do YOU think is the solution to our health situation?