This is a great treat from your weeds and it is so easy to make.
Pick your dandelions before mowing the lawn or digging them up for dandelion coffee. Or go out into the country and pick them in the wild away from pollution. Never use ones that have been sprayed with weed killer. My hands get all yellow from the picking.
Dandelion Flower Syrup
- Wash the flowers and spin dry them like you would lettuce.
- Cut their base to detach the yellow petals from the green leaves; you only want the petals as the green part is bitter. You can do this by hand but it is faster with a knife.
- Place the flowers in a pot with 1 cup of water; I use filter water.
- Mix well until all petals are covered.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Then simmer on very low heat for 25 minutes.*
- Strain the liquid from the flowers into a second pot.
- Add honey and stir till melted.
- Now mix in lemon juice.
- Let cool and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator; the honey acts as a preservative.
* OR Out in a jar and put in the fridge overnight to steep like tea, bringing the flavours out of the flowers.
Make Dandelion Flower Cordial for a refreshing beverage.
Check out Dandelion Flower Cornmeal Pancakes
When we see dandelions in the spring it is time for a Spring Cleanse