Here is a quick, simple to make a recipe for steamed greens with a zingy lemon and a little crunch from the sesame seeds. A great addition to any meal.
Steamed Greens Recipe
- 1 lb Swiss chard, or mustard greens or beet tops or spinach
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp virgin olive oil
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Trim chard of any damaged leaves and tough stems.
- Wash well to remove all sand.
- Steam greens and garlic 3 to 7 minutes until leaves are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Put in a bowl and add oil.
- Serve each portion with a lemon wedge and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Note: I don’t add salt to my greens as they are naturally high in sodium.
1 cup of cooked chard has 313 mg of sodium which is 13% of the daily requirement of sodium.