Time to learn how to grow strawberries; they are highly valued as one of the most important small fruits grown in the Western Hemisphere. Every province in Canada and every state in the United States grows the strawberries. They grow wild and we grow them as a cultivated plant.
You do not want to buy inorganic strawberries as nearly 60 different pesticides have been found on them. They are always one of the top EWG’s Dirty Dozen Foods the fungus prompts farmers to spray, and pesticide residue remains on berries sold even at farmers markets. They are the most chemically intensive crop in California.
Best to grow your own organic strawberries.
There are 103 types of strawberry plants according to the United States Department of Agriculture. There are two main types of strawberries are ‘everbearers’ and ‘June-bearers’ (one-crop varieties). My favourite are the everbearers, because they produce berries throughout the summer and fall. I hear they produce fruit during all seasons in Florida. How lucky they are!
Every June and July when strawberries appear in the gardens and farmers markets where I live in Canada, I am reminded of growing a large patch in England. One year I picked 30 pounds. Now, I have a little strawberry patch in my garden that I have been eating strawberries every day for 2 weeks.
If you want large juicy strawberries, grow ‘June Bearing’.
How to Grow Strawberries
Plant strawberries in rich the soil to get a large crop.
- They grow best in a cool, moist climate and do not do well in warm temperatures.
- Plant in the spring or fall before the temperature is too cold.
- Do not to plant strawberries near tomatoes, eggplant, peppers or potatoes. These vegetables contain ingredients that could cause the rotting of the strawberry plant.
- Water the strawberry plant with 1 to 2 inches of water per week because 70% of a strawberry plant’s roots are in the top three inches of soil.
- Strawberry plants can grow for 5 to 6 years.
- Not every flower produces fruit.
- As the plant grows it out slender growths called runners that look like strings. They grow on the ground and send out roots in the soil producing new strawberry plants.
- They need at least six continuous hours of sunlight a day.
Watch how to grow your own strawberries:
Tips on How to Pick Strawberries
Hold on to the stem just above the berry and pull with a slight twisting motion.
- Carefully put the fruit into your containers. Do not throw them in as they are fragile.
- Best not to overfill your containers or try to pack the berries down.
Learn all about the Health Benefits of Strawberries – The Queen of Fruits – Juicy heart-shaped strawberries have much more to offer beyond sweetness and flavour, they are full of health benefits.
The Strawberry is called ‘The Queen of Fruits’ In Asian countries because it is a sweet superfood. Compared to fruits like apples, oranges or bananas, they have the highest amount of nutrients.
Few of My Favourite Strawberry Recipes
Strawberry Peach Vegan Ice Cream – I had fun creating this easy to make homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker. It is healthy with no big cup full of sugar, just lots of fruit and coconut milk so you can enjoy your summer.
Strawberry Crumble – This delicious crumble recipe is sugar-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free. I make this from the strawberries I grow, which are of course organic.
Strawberry Peach Green Smoothie – This strawberry peach green smoothie recipe is filled with health benefits and is super easy to make. And of course yummy. It makes an excellent snack during your day.
Strawberry Jam is Refined Sugar-free and Delicious – You will be surprised how this refined sugar-free, packaged pectin-free, recipe tastes so good! We do make our own pectin from the lemons though to help it stick together.
Strawberry MilkShake A classic! Since you are making it yourself you can control the freshness and quality of all the ingredients!