Green smoothies taste better than most people think. Whenever I serve one, I see surprised faces at how good this green liquid tastes and they want more. They are a very healthy way to begin your day with a 100% raw alkaline meal filled with superfoods and they make a very yummy breakfast because they are filled with the fruit you love.
I first learned of the raw movement and green smoothies from Victoria Boutenko of the ‘Raw Family’. She is truly the ‘Queen of Green Smoothies’. She invented green smoothies after much research in the library and her kitchen. She was searching for better health for her sick family. Now the whole family is very healthy.
Even if you are like me, I do not eat anywhere near 100% raw foods, some raw food is good for us. My diet is 40 – 70% raw depending on the season.
Despite being green, which sometimes scares people; green smoothies are actually very tasty and very good for us. They are filled with healthy greens such as spinach and yummy fruits like raspberries and mangos.
Great Reasons to Include Green Smoothies into your Diet
1. Highly Nutritious: The greens are full of vitamins A, K, D, and E which are all fat-soluble. Vitamin K helps calcium and phosphorus bind onto the bone protein matrix. Here is a description of just one of the most common greens people use and one we recommend because it doesn’t have a bitter taste: Power up Your Day Like Popeye!
2. Very easy to digest: For many eating raw food is as challenging for the digestive system as it was for me.
3. 100% Alkaline: Greens are the highest alkaline-forming foods.
4. Eating more live foods: you consume more fresh fruit and greens.
5. You will get more of the nutrients in well-blended green smoothies. Most of the cells in the greens and fruits are broken down; they actually begin to break down and be digested in your mouth.
6. Filled with lots of fiber which we know we need for elimination. Freshly made vegetable juice is easy to digest but lacks fiber. Filled with Smart Carbs or Dumb Carbs?
7. Greens are full of chlorophyll that purifies the blood, prevents tooth decay, aids in proper digestion, helps detoxify the liver, keeps the thyroid gland in balance, cleanses internal organs, enhances capillary function, supports sex hormones, decontaminates inorganic chemicals, and builds up red blood cell counts according to Dr. Ann, Dr. Bernard Jensen and G. P. Earp-Thomas of Bloomfield Laboratories. Read more about Spinach, a Superfood is a Highly Nutritious Food
8. Greens help widen our blood vessels, helping the blood flow, inhibit the development of blockages, and destroys inflammation because they are full of a gas called nitric oxide.
9. Improved health: Many notice the ability to sleep less, better elimination, stronger nails, and teeth. Smoothies have made such a big difference in the many who take in a Weekend Web Bootcamp as green smoothies are part of what one eats.
10. Simple and quick to make and they actually taste good because they have lots of sweet fruit in them.
Making tasty green smoothies:
- Use fruit that you enjoy eating.
- At first use light tasting greens like spinach and not too many.
- They need to be blended very well; there will be no lumps or pieces of greens.
- They need to be made correctly (see recipe links below).
- They taste good because they are filled with yummy sweet fruit.
How you will get all of the nutrients in greens:
Chewing is important. You have to really chew them well and have a very high level of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Both of these are difficult to achieve.
- Let the blender chew the greens.
- Adding fruits that are acidic, to begin with, you are adding an ingredient that helps the greens to digest.
- The fruit makes the greens taste good so you enjoy eating your greens.
“Let me point out that although I didn’t like greens, Igor simply couldn’t tolerate them, which is pretty typical of Russian men. Another two months later his moustache and his beard started growing blacker, which made his face look a lot younger. Igor got so excited about this that he became the green smoothie champion of my family. He would wake up early and make two or three gallons of smoothie every day: one for me, one for him, and one for Sergei and Valya to share.” ~ Victoria Boutenko
Listen to Victoria Boutenko – Queen of Raw explains how she invented the ‘Green Smoothie’ and loves them because they taste so good.
A way to be very economical:
Harvest the weeds in your garden. I use dandelion greens, chickweed, or lambs quarters. The good news is that you will be weeding your garden and maximizing your time.
Food combining concerns?
- Vegetables and fruits together?
You may have heard that it is not good to combine fruits and vegetables. True to some extent; starchy vegetables like carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli do not combine well with fruits. In fact, they will cause fermentation and gas in the intestines which can be very uncomfortable. Also, you will not be getting the full nutrition from those fruits and vegetables.
Green leafy vegetables combine well with every food. So yes, leafy greens combine well with fruit. Jane Goodall says that she has seen monkeys making a sandwich of green leaves covering the fruit.
- Should fats be in your smoothie?
According to food combining this is a no-no. But what we know is that good fats help with the absorption of our fat-soluble Vitamins like K and E, and the absorption of minerals. The abundance of greens in the smoothie, in my opinion, is helped with a little fat such as in flax seeds, a few soaked nuts or seeds, or flax oil. As I said just a little not a lot cause we don’t want to get fat.
What do you do with leftover green smoothies:
- Immediately pour the remaining smoothie into a jar that will be filled up to the top and put the lid on and refrigerate till later in the day or for the next morning. Do not do this if you will not be consuming it within 24 hours.
- Pour into a jar making sure there is 1/3 of the jar empty; freeze it for future use.
- Pour into ice cube trays to use in a punch or a cool summer drink.
- Make it into popsicles for a healthy summer treat for the children.
- Add it to your salad dressing to make it extra healthy.
- Share your green smoothies with a friend, a neighbor, or a co-worker while it is still fresh.
My personal favorite green smoothie recipes
I love my morning green smoothie for breakfast and as you can see I am enjoying it very much. It’s very different from the norm. You can read about it here: Diana’s Green Smoothie with a Difference
It helps me start my day with a raw alkaline meal that tastes so good and is filled with good nutrition. If you have not tried them yet, be brave; make a green smoothie for a snack today. Join me on our next BootCamp and learn how to make green smoothies.
Here are some tasty green smoothies for you:
Green Orange Spinach Smoothie Super easy tasty smoothie to make with only 2 main ingredients.
3 Minute Green Smoothie Randy makes a fast delicious meal.
Raw Green Smoothie part 2 with Bloopers See what happens when you don’t put your blender lid on.
Green Raspberry Smoothie/Pudding It’s a healthy smoothie. It’s a tasty pudding! No… It’s WHATEVER YOU LIKE!
Green Smoothie Blueberry/Apple Pudding Another of my personal favorites that I eat often because it is super yummy.
Learn Exactly How and When to Use Green Smoothies by Doing It!
Green Smoothies are is one of the essential foods in our Alkalize Your Body BootCamp and the 2-5-30 Diet and Detox classes. Get hands-on experience and knowledge from the comfort of your home.
6 thoughts on “Green Smoothies Full of Superfoods Are Delicious and Amazingly Healthy”
The green smoothies diet was made by Robyn Openshaw, who is an expert in nutrition and a health educator. The diet doesn’t just involve drinking green smoothies, as you can continue to have other nutritious foods during the day to ensure you get a number of nutrients. Leafy green vegetables are the most nutritious foods, only one of the hardest foods to include into your diet simply because they aren’t so tasty.
Actually Victoria Boutenko invented the ‘Green Smoothie’ and loves them because they taste so good and are one way of getting greens into the diet. I agree that it is not just about drinking green smoothies all day; it is important to include lots of healthy foods.
I am drinking green smooties about twice a day. I feel terrific but after the 2nd one, I usually start to have cravings. Try also to have a healthy meal for dinner. I love the taste, but my doctor said to “add more greens and less fruit because I am borderline diabetic”, and I hope not to cross over the line. Do you think it’s healthy for me to continue drinking 2 a day? My system stays cleaned out and there is so much energy! I am not a real coffee drinker, but may have a cup every 2 or 3 weeks. The natural energy comes with the smoothie. Just asking your advice on how long I can continue drinking it? I use Kale and then rotate to spinach every week or so with my strawberries, peaches and mixed berries. So good!!! Thanks for all your help.
Margie, about how much smoothie to drink in relation to keeping your blood sugar balanced it is important not to have too much fruit as your doctor says. I would limit fruit to 2 to 3 pieces a day depending on your size and how many other sweet things you are eating during the day. I like that you are rotating the the greens and fruits. I am sure the occasional cup of coffee is not a bad thing if it does not bother you. I am not able to drink any and feel good. We are all different.
It is Margie again. I really would like to have a follow-up comment from you. Forgot to check the box. Thanks again!
I really like greens too. It means that I can make mixture of my own.