We usually throw out the hard green watermelon rind of the juicy fruit, but did you know that the rind has many nutritional and remedy benefits? This wasted food can do good things for your body. Also, using it will cut down on your garbage helping the environment.
Watermelon Rind Health Benefits
- The rind contains citrulline. “L-citrulline is a substance called a non-essential amino acid. Your kidneys change L-citrulline into another amino acid called L-arginine and a chemical called nitric oxide. These compounds are important to your heart and blood vessel health. They may also boost your immune system.” WebMD
- Acne can be helped using the rind might help prevent breakouts; rub the rind on acne for naturally clearing up the acne.
How Watermelon Rind is Used
- Russians like their pickled the rind.
- Early Greek settlers brought the recipe for pickling watermelon to Charleston, South Carolina. The first United States cookbook published in 1796 had a recipe for the rind pickles.
- Thai Gaeng Leang soup uses the rind as one of its main ingredients as it adds sweetness and firmness.
- It makes a preserve with its greenish-clear texture, and has a delicious mild flavour.
Some people actually juice it. Make sure you have an organic one if you try this and do learn the best way to do it.
Poetic Fun by Roylin Picou – Learn about the many watermelon benefits in a fun way here by Real Food For Life’s designated comic and poet, Roylin Picou. Promise, you will enjoy his sense of humor on the video.
Watermelon Recipes for You
How to Make Watermelon Popsicles Recipe – These wonderful treats are very simple to make and there is no sugar added. These popsicles are actually good for all. Get your children or grandchildren to help you.
Watermelon Juice – This is a very simple juice to make and excellent on a hot day. It is much healthier for you than a soft drink. If you need to alkalize quickly then here is a recipe using the second most alkaline-forming food. This is one very easy and refreshing juice made with watermelon.
Watermelon Soup – A bowl of cold watermelon soup is refreshing and is a very simple soup for one of those ‘hot’ days. And you are adding a nutritious superfood.