This superfood is so entertaining; with the many leek fun facts. Below is a video below showing an amazingly large leek!
It is a delicious vegetable which I use in my cooking meals every week. Also, leeks are full of so many impressive health benefits which really surprised me.
Leek Fun Facts for You
- Aristotle said the clear voice of the partridge was because of the leek diet.
- Roman emperor Nero ate leeks daily to make his voice strong.
- It is the national emblem of Wales which was because in an ancient victory the army of Welsh wore hats with the symbol of a leek.
- In the Middle Ages, on St. David’s Day, girls slept with a leek under their pillow to see their future husband in a dream.
The strong and mighty eat their Leeks
That is why they are not Weak.
Be like a poet wise and Meek
Eat healthy food and clearly Speak
Wiser words than the Romans or Greeks!
As you glow with the Health many Seek!
~ Roylin Picou
- They are native to Central Asia and have been grown there and in Europe for thousands of years.
- Ancient Romans and Greeks valued leeks for the health benefits for the throat.
- They were brought to the United Kingdom by the Romans and grew well as they could survive the colder winter weather.
- Now here is the best fun leek fact ever: let’s see the largest leek ever to be grown.
Now that you have learned a few leek fun facts, time to learn something practical.
How to Grow Leeks
Would you like to grow leeks? They are easy to grow but you may not get such large ones as you just saw in the video above.
First, let’s start by sowing the seeds thinly in potting soil about an inch apart. Cover the seeds with a thin layer of more potting soil, and water them. It is important to keep the potting soil moist so the seeds can germinate and grow.
Place them on a sunny indoor windowsill or in a greenhouse to help them grow. You can pot them on into individual pots as they grow.
They like moist, light soil with a good quality of well-rotted organic compost. It is best that the soil is not rich as they will grow coarse and tough with far too much leaf growth.
Best to not grow leeks in the same place every year as there will be a risk of diseases.
Creamy Vegan Potato Leek Soup with Carrots – This filling and warming soup is perfect for a yummy lunch. The recipe makes a big pot of soup which fed two of us for two lunches. It tastes so good that we also enjoyed it the second day too.
Leeks and Carrots with Ginger and Garlic is So Delicious – This is a favourite dish of mine because it is so yummy.
Learn more about some of the healthiest vegetarian foods you will always want to have in your pantry or growing on your deck.
READ: Superfoods – Over 100 of the Healthiest Foods You Should Have in Your Diet and learn more about the variety of Superfoods we think you should have in your diet.