5 Benefits of Nuts and Seeds:
- Best plant sources of protein.
- Filled with heart healthy fat.
- High Energy foods.
- Powerful Minerals.
- Needed Vitamins.
Raw nuts or seeds can have a bitter taste; this is due to enzyme inhibitors. These inhibitors can affect the digestion of the nuts and seeds. Soaking or roasting the nuts and seeds remove the enzyme inhibitors.
The high heat from roasting will remove the enzyme inhibitors but will destroy many of the nutrients. Soaking them will keep them more nutritious and bring out the natural sweet flavor of the nuts and seeds.
The enzyme inhibitors are washed away when the nuts and seed are soaked; also the digestion of the of the proteins and carbohydrates begins. Bonus is that the soaking removes 30% of the oil content making nuts and seeds easier on the liver and digestion and of course less calories.
They are not actually sprouted just soaked (3 to 12 hours) which starts the process of sprouting process. Best not to soak for more then the recommended time as as the sweetness leaves them.
Directions on How to Sprout Nuts & Seeds:
- Look over nuts and seeds; remove stones, brown or yellow and broken nuts or seeds.
- Rinse nuts or seeds.
- Put each type of seed or nut in individual jars then cover with purified water, leave the lid off and soak for right amount of time (see below).
- Best to change the water 2 or 3 times while soaking if you can.
- Once they have been soaked long enough; drain, put lid on and store in the refrigerator. Use them up in two to three days.
- When ready to eat, rinse nuts or seeds.
- Nuts and seeds should be rinsed every 24 hours and kept in the refrigerator.
- Best to eat as soon as possible, as freshness is what makes sprouts special!
- If you want, you can dehydrate your soaked nuts and seeds at 105 degrees until they are completely dry. Then store in the refrigerator or freezer to keep them fresh.
Almonds: Soak 10 – 12 hours. Use only unblanched raw almonds. If refrigerated will last up to 4 days or sprouts may turn rancid. These are my favorite! Note: All US almonds have been heated so make sure the ones you buy are from Europe. Make Almond Milk with these soaked almonds.
Pumpkin Seeds: Soak 6 – 8 hours. Eat within 2 days. Use hulled pumpkin seeds.
Sunflower Seeds: Soak 2 – 3 hours. Use hulled sunflower. Skim off seed skins when rinsing as they will make your sprouts spoil quickly. Best to eat them the same day or within 1 or 2 days.