Very Best Foods for a Summer Detox
Did you know that doing a summer detoz is a very good time to detox? This is because fresh organic fruit and vegetables are much more available and that it is warm so the body finds it is easier to be in a detox process. This is a natural process. When we detox, we eliminate toxins and begin to feel healthier and eenergized
- Lemons are the best food for a detox in spring, summer and fall.
- Are highly alkalizing for the body. This helps restore balance to the body’s pH.
- Your liver loves lemons: The lemon is a wonderful stimulant to the liver and is a dissolvent of uric acid and other poisons, liquefies the bile” says Back to Eden, Mr. Kloss.
- Lemons stimulate bile production and they help cleanse the kidneys.
- Watermelon is the number one food for a summer detox.
- Is high in dietary fiber. This helps keep the colon clean, helping cleanse your body.
- Contains glutathione that helps improve liver function. Glutathione is the body’s most powerful antioxidant and detoxifying agent.
- Is a good source of potassium. Potassium balances the high amounts of sodium in our diets which supports your kidneys and is great when cleansing.
- Reduces inflammation: Less inflammation means lower toxic load in the body.
- It is extremely alkaline-forming in the body. Fat cells contain toxicity and acid. Your body will not let go of fat cells while you are still acidic.
- Contains high amounts of citrulline. This helps to create arginine which removes ammonia and other toxins from the body.
- 1 cup of watermelon is only 47 calories. This is great for weight loss.
Read more about Watermelon Health Benefits.
- Cucumbers are helpful in helping flush toxins out of the body. The high water content in cucumbers gets your urinary system moving.
- Raspberries are low in calories making them an ideal fruit for people who want to lose weight.
- The glycemic index of raspberries is 3, meaning they are a low glycemic load food. They have a low effect on our blood sugar, helping us to maintain it and keeping it from spiking.
Ripe blueberries in a bowl.
- Blueberries are one of the most healing foods.
- Have been found to reduce inflammation in many studies on animals;
- Have antiviral properties and help to block toxins from crossing the blood-brain barrier to gain access to the delicate brain.
- Celery is filled with fiber that is good for weight loss and is about 95% water.
- Spinach alkalizing the body helps to balance the body.
- Full of anti- inflammatory antioxidants. Fat cells produce chemistry that creates inflammation which can lead to Obesity.
- Avocados contain glutathione which helps the liver detoxify synthetic chemicals.
- Can also lower cholesterol and dilate blood vessels while blocking artery-destroying toxicity.
- Flaxseeds have a balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which reduce inflammation.
- Are high soluble and insoluble fibre. This helps stabilize blood sugar and promotes proper functioning of the intestines.
- Mint leaves are great for summer cooling.
- Help you digest your food more effectively. It improves the flow of bile from the liver to the gallbladder, to the small intestine, where it breaks down dietary fats.
Toxins in our food and in our body
A ‘Summer Detox’ helps to eliminate toxins. It makes sense to reduce adding MORE chemicals by eating pesticide/chemical free food.
Some non-organic foods are known to be high in pesticide content.
Note: Toxins get stored in fat cells so when you eliminate toxins, fat cells get eliminated too.
EWG analyzed pesticide residue testing data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration to come up with rankings for these popular fresh produce items. Read The Dirty Dozen – 12 Foods You MUST Eat Organic
Have Fun With a Detox
We review many of these foods and other important principles in our Free Summer Detox Training. We also have a more advanced course where we hold your hand while we take you through a whole month (2 days a week) of detox.