I love this vegan pesto without the cheese; it tastes like the real thing only better to me! Toss with pasta or serve with bread or crackers for an appetizer.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 cups fresh basil
- 1 2/3 + 1/3 c for later cup pine nuts
- 1 – 5 cloves garlic (optional)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 -3/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Put olive oil first into the blender; then add basil blend until smooth.
- Next, add pine nuts and garlic; blend till they are ground.
- Now add sea salt and nutritional yeast; blend till smooth.
- Pesto is best to not be completely smooth; a little texture is good.
- Add 1/3 cup pine nuts and mix in at the end
Adjust amounts to your own taste. You can use other herbs besides basil; cilantro, parsley, and mint are good too.
Pine nuts have become very expensive so substitute walnuts or almonds in place of the pine nuts. Instead of salt put in a 3 tsp of Braggs.
Pesto keeps very well; it is delicious the next day and it freezes well too.
There are So Many Types of Basil, in fact, 35 of them!
Learn the health benefits of basil with fascinating trivia at 7 Benefits of Basil – The Royal Herb
To get healthy recipes and tips sent to your mailbox once a week with more information about these foods, subscribe to my newsletter. You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my 2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.