We were shocked to find out that the olive oils that we thought were extra virgin were not! Read: The Olive Oil Fraud.
To be safe we have a list of brands we know to be real extra virgin olive oils and links if you wish to purchase online. For many of us having it delivered to your door is the only easy sure way to do so.
Which Olive Oils Are Good?
These olive oils have met the extra-virgin standards; this list of brands is from the research above.
- Bariani Olive Oil is Stone Crushed, Cold Pressed, Decanted and Unfiltered California Extra Virgin Olive Oil and they are committed to producing an authentic extra virgin olive oil which is raw. Weston Price recommends this oil.
- Corto Olive – can sometimes be purchased at Cosco.
- Cobram Estate – Australia’s most awarded extra virgin olive oil
- California Olive Ranch
- Kirkland Organic
- Lucero (Ascolano)
- McEvoy Ranch Organic
- Whole Foods California 365
- Olea Estates 100% extra virgin olive oil is from an extremely reliable source and is our top recommendation. This olive oil is grown on a single family farm in Greece and is a great tasting olive oil. We think so highly about this that we contacted them and they did give us a code for a discount which now is invalid. I spoke with them they will be giving us another discount code very soon.
Consumer Reports (September 2012 issue), published results of a taste test of 138 bottles of extra virgin olive oil from 23 manufacturers. The olive oil was sourced from the US, Argentina, Greece, Chile, and Italy. They found that olive oil produced in California exceeded those from Italy.
Two highest scoring olive oils (both from California) from their testing were:
- Trader Joe’s California Estate
- McEvoy Ranch
Here are 3 more very good varieties:
- Cobram Estate won the Best Olive Oil 2016 contest.
- Chacewater California Extra Virgin Olive Oil was also a winner of the Best Olive Oil 2105 contest.
- Ellora Extra Virgin Olive Oil is one of the best olive oils. It is 100% Pure Cretan Extra Virgin Olive Oil of which the origin and authenticity is certified by the EU standards. While meeting the stringent requirements it maintains a focus on environmental consciousness and tradition. When you are ordering it online it comes in many sizes which can make shipping more economical. This is the one I am getting: 2 tins of Ellora Extra Virgin Olive Oil and 2 Ellora EVOO spray bottles
Olive oil is my favourite for making salad dressings.
Here are 5 delicious salad dressing recipes:
To get healthy recipes and tips sent to your mailbox once a week with more information about these foods, subscribe to my newsletter.
You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals
with my 2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.