Onions for Better Health says WHO
Onions are full of protective phytonutrients, vitamins, trace minerals, quercetin (an important flavonoid), chromium, and unique anti-inflammatory nutrients.
“An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable invented to make them laugh.” ~ Will Rogers
- Low in Saturated Fat, Sodium, and Cholesterol.
- High in Vitamin C, Dietary Fiber, Vitamin B6, Folate and Manganese.
- The nutritional value of onions make them ideal for weight loss and maintaining optimum health.
Health Benefits of Onions:
1. WHO recognizes that onions help relieve symptoms such as coughs, congestion asthma and respiratory infections.
- Early American settlers used wild onions to treat colds, coughs, and asthma, and to repel insects.
- In Chinese medicine, onions have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections, and breathing problems.
- Sugar and onion juice form syrup, much used in domestic practice, for cough and other affections of the air-tubes among children.
Green Onion as Alternative Medicine:
- It is mainly used as a traditional medicine for common cold.
- It stimulates the respiratory tract and helps in expelling sputum (phlegm).
Onion Gravy: A vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free classic.
Onion Soup: A classic recipe that is vegan – and just as healthy as the original.
Now I ask: What would life be like without this powerfood?