Celery is a negative calorie food, meaning it takes the body more calories to digest it than the food itself contains making it a very good food for weight loss. One stalk of celery has only a few calories because it is full of healthy cellulose. Celery is 95% water, very alkaline and filled with fiber. Its weight loss benefits are well known but you would be surprised at its other amazing properties.
At Real Food for Life it is considered it a powerfood that should be eaten daily.
‘My parents were vegetarians. I’d show up at school, this giant black kid, with none of the cool clothes and a tofu sandwich and celery sticks.’ Aisha Tyler, actress and comedian.
13 Health Benefits:
1. Celery has blood pressure reducing properties. It contains active Pthalides which relax the muscles of the arteries that regulating blood pressure so the vessels dilate. Pthalides also reduce stress hormones which can cause blood vessels to constrict.
2. The fibre is very good for weight loss.
3. Celery is considered a negative calorie food, which means it takes the body more calories to digest it than the food itself contains. Cellulose in all plants is in a form we cannot digest, so we cannot absorb their calories. A single stalk of celery has only a few calories due to being full of cellulose. The addition of celery to your diet will help you tremendously with your weight loss efforts.
I consider celery so important to weight loss that it is a key element in my Weight Loss Boot Camps. check them out here: Acid-Alkaline Diet BootCamp of Weight Loss and Balance
4. Celery contains plant hormones that calm and soothe the central nervous system which will make your losing weight an easier thing to do.
5. Celery leaves are a source of flavonoid antioxidants zeaxanthin, lutein and beta- carotene) which have anti-oxidant, cancer protective and immune-boosting functions.
6. Celery seed is used to treat colds, arthritis, and diseases of the liver and spleen in Ayurvedic medicine.
7. Celery seeds increase urine, according to information from the University of Maryland Medical Center.
8. The seeds may also treat arthritis and reduce inflammation but we are still waiting for the research to verify this.
9. Celery essential oil extracted from the plant has been used for nervousness, osteoarthritis, and gouty-arthritis conditions.
10. The seeds and roots help breast milk secretion.
12. Celery is an alkaline food. Most people are too acidic and thus suffer from a major body imbalance. One result of this is extreme difficulty in losing weight.
13. Celery combines with just about any food, even fruit to some degree. This helps the digestion and has many powerful health benefits in itself.
Trivia Interesting facts:
- Celery salt, a combination of celery leaves, […]