Rice feeds the world!
Three billion people worldwide depend on rice for over half of their daily calorie intake. Most of them eat white rice.
Without rice, even the cleverest housewife cannot cook.
Could the hippies and macrobiotics, two of the biggest brown rice proponents be wrong? What are the differences between brown and white rice, and what are the benefits of each?
This special occasion vegetarian dinner is easy to prepare and a balanced meal in terms of acid/alkaline and food combining. The most time consuming is the nut loaf but it is so delicious that it is worth it and does not take as much time as cooking a turkey. Also, it is full of protein from all of the nuts and seeds…even my non-vegetarian friends and family like it.
½ cup cashews
½ cup almonds
10 almonds for decoration
2/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup walnuts (chopped)
1 cup short grain brown rice
1/3 cup soya flour
4-6 tbsp soya sauce
2 pieces of celery
¼ cup water
2 tsp basil
2 tsp. marjoram
2 tbsp flax meal
1. Lightly roast cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in the oven.
2. Chop and sauté onion and celery.
3. Chop all the nuts and seeds.
4. Mix all the ingredients together and moisten with water.
5. Pat mixture into a well-oiled bread tin.
6. Decorate top with 10 almonds and line bottom of the tin with greaseproof paper.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes.
Serve with mushroom or onion gravy.
Usually, the problem with cranberry sauce is that it is full of sugar. Here is my version of the popular Cranberry Sauce without any sugar which is no easy thing when it comes to cranberries as they are so tart.
CRANBERRY SAUCE (sugar-free)
1 Package whole, organic cranberries (fresh, not frozen)
1 Organic Apple, cored and chopped
1 cup Apple juice
1/4 cup Organic, Brown Rice Syrup
1 tsp Stevia (Sunny Dew is best)
Pinch of salt
1. Put all ingredients into a saucepan and let simmer for a few moments.
2. Remove and let cool.
3. Taste and add more Stevia or Brown Rice Syrup if you like it sweeter.
Nutritional Tips: Cranberries are high in vitamin C, and have antioxidant and antibacterial effects in the body.read all their health benefits here: Cranberry Benefits
In clinical studies, cranberries have been shown to help maintain a healthy urinary tract and be especially beneficial to the eyes (significantly improve symptoms of cataracts, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy)
ASPARAGUS WITH LEMON JUICE
1 pound asparagus, washed, trimmed, and cut diagonally into 2 inch lengths
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon juiced
Dash of Spike seasoning
1. In a large frying pan over low heat, heat the olive oil
2. Add Asparagus and cover and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add Spike and stir cook an additional 1 minute.
4. Add lemon juice stir well and serve.
This brown rice pudding and the creamy sauce that goes with it, is sugar-free, dairy-free, and egg-free and it tastes great! It is a favorite dessert of mine that has gone through many changes through the years.
I often do not even bake it; just cook it on top of the stove in a pot until it is the consistency I like.
1 cup short grain brown rice, uncooked
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups rice, almond or soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. coconut oil or butter
1 tsp. – 2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup sultana raisins
1/2 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cook rice.
- Mix cooked rice in a glass baking dish with remaining ingredients except for cinnamon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Bake at 400º for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Serve with “Cream Sauce” on top.
Serves 4 big servings or 8 small ones.
1 1/4 cup rice, almond or soy milk
3/4 cup apple juice
3 tbsp. arrowroot
2 tbsp. coconut oil or butter
1 tsp. lemon juice
- Mix the first 3 ingredients together.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add lemon juice and coconut oil.
- Serve on top of Brown Rice Pudding.
If you try this recipe, please comment below and let others know how it worked out!
Or do you have a favorite healthy recipe that you would like to share? Please do so below. We may even use it in our coming recipe book and give you recognition!
Here are some more tasty puddings:
Get healthy tasty vegan gluten free recipes and useful lifestyle tips sent to you once a week, subscribe to the newsletter.
You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my
2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.