Soba is Japanese for buckwheat.
1 piece Kombu seaweed
1 small piece Wakame seaweed
1 inch piece ginger root, peeled and grated
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
1/4 – 1/2 lb soba (buckwheat noodles)
1/4 cup mugi miso
3 cups water
Sauteed mushrooms or Fried Tofu (optional)
- Wash kombu and wakame and place in a pot with the water.
- Add the ginger. Bring to a boil and boil gently for 10 – 20 minutes. Strain, saving Kombu and Wakame.
- Rinse off the seaweed and chop it into 1 inch cubes and return to the pot of water.
- Sauté onion till transparent. Add onion to the stock along with the carrot. Lightly boil for 5 minutes
- Add the soba. Bring to a boil and add 1 cup of cold water,
- Repeat this process 3 times –adding a total of 3 cups of water.
- Boil lightly for 5 more minutes, Remove from heat.
- Add miso to taste (do not cook the miso as it will kill the live enzymes). Let sit with lid on for 5 minutes.
- Serve the soba soup in bowls. Sprinkle “Fried Tofu” or sauteed mushrooms on top.
To learn all the benefits of seaweed click here: Seaweed Benefits
If you want to be eating gluten free, make sure the soba is wheat free as many varieties out there add lots of wheat flour when the noodles are being made. Here is a link to 100% buckwheat soba made in Japan Buckwheat Soba.
“In Japan, 100 Percent Buckwheat Soba is called ‘kiko uchi’ meaning ‘pure soba’. Whole buckwheat is small batch stone ground into flour then added to a slow moving mixer with pure water to form dough that ensures the best texture and flavor. A series of rollers gradually presses the dough into thin sheets. Another roller cuts the sheets of dough into long strands that are hung on poles in a drying room with fans and allowed to dry for about 40 hours. The noodles are hand cut to length and allowed to finish air drying before packaging. Buckwheat’s protein is superior to that of many cereal grains, providing all amino acids including the essential ones.” ~ Eden Foods
Here are some other great soup recipes:
Get healthy tasty vegan gluten free recipes and useful lifestyle tips sent to you once a week, subscribe to the newsletter.
You can also learn how to plan and prepare super healthy meals with my
2-5-30 Healthy Diet Online Courses.
Copyright © Diana Herrington www.RealFoodforLife.com